Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I have a disrupting sound

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Skymer

I have a disrupting sound

#1 Post by Skymer »

Hello, I'm on Pop OS 17.10, and I have a problem I have already had on Debian Stretch : My audio is switching between : "Line Out - HD Audio Generic" and "Headphones - HD Audio Generic" which provoked a disrupting sound ... It's very awkward for listening music or videos ...

I "use" ALSA...

I have already tried to reinstall pulseaudio..
Or change anything in alsamixer (which isn't working, because of that constant switching)

And ... my headphone is plugged in the output line (and not in the headphone output which is in the front of my computer case and work perfectly :/ ... but I can't have my headphone plugged in)

Code: Select all

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 3 [HDMI 3]
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
card 1: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
Thanks to who will take his time to answer me, and excuse my poor english ^^... If you need more infos, ask me..

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: I have a disrupting sound

#2 Post by arochester »

Pop OS >>>
Need Help?
Read the docs at pop.system76.com/docs
Join the discussion at reddit.com/r/pop_os
Chat with the community at chat.pop-os.org

Skymer

#3 Post by Skymer »

Yes, but I think it's exactly the same thing ... It works the same way ..
I'm talking about ALSA... Not my OS... Because I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON DEBIAN... so that's it

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

I have never heard of the OS the OP mentions, but one thing is for certain:
Post by Skymer » 2018-02-25 16:43
Yes, but I think it's exactly the same thing ... It works the same way
NO, it is not the same thing, these forums are for problems with Debian, and yes some times , actually a lot , people using Debian, do have problems with "ALSA" as well,... How ever, the solution to the problem on a Debian system obviously
would not be the same as the solution on "some other random OS".
Because I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON DEBIAN... so that's it
So did you solve it ? "had" indicates past tense, so I assume you did, there fore , why does the same solution not work you this other "OS", or what ever it is ?
Post by Skymer » and excuse my poor english ^^.

Are you a "bot" ?
This is a common excuse they use, to try to cover for not making 100% sense.
Did you not read this ?: "Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!"
There is no need to apologize for poor English skills. We have users from all over the world and trying your best is more than adequate.
Bots have a tendency to not read the "Read Before First Post" topics, ... :mrgreen:
======= edit ====
I'm talking about ALSA... Not my OS.
Exactly, it is not a OS issue, it is a ALSA issue, please do some searches, and find the ALSA support forum, this is not a Debian issue. Besides that this should have been posted in the "off topic" board, but bots do not realize these things.

Skymer

#5 Post by Skymer »

Bots have a tendency to not read
x') ...

Yeah SORRY, I haven't read the "read before first post"... And I assumed that be polite was more human, but apparently it's not the case ...

Wow, there is so many "shades" (if it's the good word) in english... When I said "I had", I wanted to just indicate the problem is exactly the same on Debian and on ALSA...

I'm not a bot :'( (I'm sure it's a non-valable bot argument, arf...)

Yes, but I hopED that I could find help on a debian forum (I tried on stackoverflow, but ... I think they don't like newbies don't know much about how to make a "good question" :3)...

Arf... Thx for the help at least : p

GarryRicketson

#6 Post by GarryRicketson »

So, Did you solve the problem on Debian ?

Skymer

#7 Post by Skymer »

Nope ... if you want ... I can reinstall debian.... if it's "JUST" that

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

PopOS is a System76 respin of Ubuntu.

Where exactly do you get this sound? Is it only in the headphones? Do they use USB or a standard jack?
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

Skymer wrote:Wow, there is so many "shades" (if it's the good word) in english... When I said "I had", I wanted to just indicate the problem is exactly the same on Debian and on ALSA...
wtf lame attempt to bend the meaning of what you wrote is that?
because what you wrote is very clear, even for someone who isn't good with english:
Skymer wrote:I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ON DEBIAN
that leaves NO room for interpretation.

so yes, install debian, then we fix the problem together.

debian forums cannot cater to the whims of every OS that is too cheap to have its own support channels.

Skymer

#10 Post by Skymer »

Where exactly do you get this sound? Is it only in the headphones? Do they use USB or a standard jack?
I get it from my headphone (standard jack)...
I know two things : it's not the headphone ... I can change it, the problem is the output OR linux
And the second thing is : On Windows, it's work PER-FECT-LY .. So the problem is from debian / My OS... (and this verdict is the SAME for debian or my current installed OS... Really, I don't understand why it'll change anything .. I'm talking about a dysfunctional audio driver -> alsa .. Yes I could post on a dedicated to alsa ... but it'll change nothing, just the amount of people answering me)

So, I have re-installed Debian ... next ?

Thanks for answering me, btw :p

cyberrufus

#11 Post by cyberrufus »

What type of motherboard do you have?

Skymer

#12 Post by Skymer »

What type of motherboard do you have?
GA-AB350M-Gaming 3
8 GB Ram
1 TO HDD
CPU : AMD-Ryzen 1600
GPU : Nvidia GTX 1060, 6GO VRAM

If it's can help you (as you want, but I don't think so x)...)

Debian and PopOS show me two output : Headphone and Outline (something like that)... I'm searching for disable that "Headphone output" ... but I'm using the same audio card, and the same headphone :/

cyberrufus

#13 Post by cyberrufus »

Thought you might have a Gigabyte board. Very similar to an issue I struggled with for a while and finally narrowed it down to a flaw in my Gigabyte MB. The solution that I finally found was to disconnect the audio output to the front of my computer at the motherboard.

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

Darn...I was hoping it was restricted to POP! OS, and was a popping sound. :D

One thing you could try without too much trouble is to add the newest Stretch-compatible kernel you can find in order to see if they've tweaked it to fix your Ryzen issue. The kernel support for that hardware is still in active development.
MX Linux packager and developer

Skymer

#15 Post by Skymer »

Arf, so it's an hardware problem :3 ? Ok... I think I'll wait .. and plug my headphones in the front of my computer :3 (it's already the case)

Thank you anyway :p