Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

network support in grub

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
boudinec

network support in grub

#1 Post by boudinec »

Hello

I would like to enable network support in grub for booting an image from a server.
When I type net_ls_cards in grub prompt, I have an empty list.

After searching a bit, I found that I should insert ofnet.mod or efinet.mod to activate network support.
These two modules are available in grub-ieee1275-bin and grub-efi-ia32-bin.
I tried to install grub-ieee1275 and launched grub-install, but my computer still seems to boot with grub-pc: ofnet is not in /boot/grub subdirectories.

I tried also with grub-efi-ia32 and I have the same result.

What should I do? Do I need to recompile grub? At least, is it possible to enable network cards in grub?

boudinec

Re: network support in grub

#2 Post by boudinec »

Hello

I managed to find how to select which version of grub to install. The option is --target. However I still have some errors.

When I type sudo grub-install --boot-directory=/media/path/to/boot /dev/sdb --target=i386-ie1275, the result is:
grub-install: error ofpathname:not found.

ofpathname is available in powerpc-ibm-utils which is only build for ppc64el -> does that mean that open firmware is only usable with PowerPC ?

Cedric