Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

force use of specific driver for USB RS485 device

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
was98strat

force use of specific driver for USB RS485 device

#1 Post by was98strat »

I have a USB device (Exar 1411) That is rs485 to USB that is conencted to my solar controller. I've loaded the vendor specific drivers but on reboot the system wants to use the defaul CDC_ACM driver instead and shows up as /dev/ttyACM0. I can black list the CDC_ACM driver and when I do the system uses the EXAR driver an the device shows up as /dev/ttyXRUSB0 . This is needed in orer to be able to successfully communicate to the device that the cable is plugged into ( a Tracer MPPT PV controller) Normally I'd just blacklist the CDC_ACM driver and be done with it. The problem I have is that I need the CDC_ACM driver for the 2 Arduino Mega2560 cards that I need to connect to the system. They use the CDC_ACM driver.

How can I force the bind of the EXAR driver to the device?

thanks

was98strat

Re: force use of specific driver for USB RS485 device

#2 Post by was98strat »

wizard10000 wrote:First thing that comes to mind is running the application that needs the EXAR driver in a container?
The application is a website that uses some PHP to call the /dev/ttyXRUSB0 device (in RS485 mode) to gather data from the device on the other end of the cable. So I don't think its running in a container.