Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

apt-get source --compile <PACKAGE> fails

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
shabbythought

apt-get source --compile <PACKAGE> fails

#1 Post by shabbythought »

I wanted try out a self-compiled version of the package "openfoam" (https://www.openfoam.com/) on my Debian Sid system. So, first:

Code: Select all

# apt-get build-dep openfoam
That step went fine. Then:

apt-get source --compile openfoam
First, it starts compiling fine and after some twenty minutes of compiler output the compiler messages end with the following error messages:

make[2]: *** [/home/user01/Downloads/openfoam-4.1+dfsg1/wmake/makefiles/apps:39: multiphase] Error 2
make[1]: *** [debian/rules:70: override_dh_auto_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/user01/Downloads/openfoam-4.1+dfsg1'
make: *** [debian/rules:7: build] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit status 2
W: Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file 'openfoam_4.1+dfsg1-1.dsc' couldn't be accessed by user '_apt'. - pkgAcquire::Run (13: Permission denied)
E: Build command 'cd openfoam-4.1+dfsg1 && dpkg-buildpackage -b -uc' failed.
#
Googling for a solution gives me some hits for "Download is performed unsandboxed as root as file" but nothing which really leads to a solution as far as I can tell.

I have no clue where to start digging here and would be very grateful for any help!
---------------

stevepusser

Re: apt-get source --compile <PACKAGE> fails

#2 Post by stevepusser »

The unsandboxed message is not an error, only a warning, as you can see by the "W".

My guess is that the actual build error precedes the text that you are showing us. If you were doing a parallel build, it could be some distance above, since one thread will keep going if another errors out. This is based on my experience getting lots and lots of build errors when backporting packages.
MX Linux packager and developer

shabbythought

Re: apt-get source --compile <PACKAGE> fails

#3 Post by shabbythought »

stevepusser wrote:The unsandboxed message is not an error, only a warning, as you can see by the "W".

My guess is that the actual build error precedes the text that you are showing us. If you were doing a parallel build, it could be some distance above, since one thread will keep going if another errors out. This is based on my experience getting lots and lots of build errors when backporting packages.
Nice catches!

Yes, it was a parallel build, with -j32, for a AMD threadripper 1950X. I will try again and see if I can find the error.
---------------