Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Service causing "running stop job" at shutdown. What to do??

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ctrlAltVogue

Service causing "running stop job" at shutdown. What to do??

#1 Post by ctrlAltVogue »

So when shutting down I get "running stop job, user session, etc" and after 90 seconds it will shut down just fine, but it's kind of annoying. After reading forums, checking system logs and journals, and testing some stuff I narrowed it down to my "private internet access" applet that is causing it. If I remember to exit it before shutting down, no problem. But I forgot to do that sometimes.

So whats the go to method to fix this? I was thinking I could set a script to run to kill pia before shutting down or something? I'm not sure if that's the best work around though. What's the recommended fix?

Also, my only two repos in my source list are non free contrib debian sid repos. From past posts this problem usually seems to be caused by something in the source list one way or another but I don't think that applies to me.

debiman

Re: Service causing "running stop job" at shutdown. What to

#2 Post by debiman »

ctrlAltVogue wrote:So whats the go to method to fix this? I was thinking I could set a script to run to kill pia before shutting down or something?
it's a systemd thing; the app probably comes with a systemd service enabled.
the go-to method is to copy the built-in service file from /usr/lib/systemd to /etc/systemd/system and make some changes to it. effectively, i guess that's exactly what you would be changing: just kill the process instead of waiting endlessly for it to shut down gracefully.

ctrlAltVogue

#3 Post by ctrlAltVogue »

debiman wrote:
ctrlAltVogue wrote:So whats the go to method to fix this? I was thinking I could set a script to run to kill pia before shutting down or something?
it's a systemd thing; the app probably comes with a systemd service enabled.
the go-to method is to copy the built-in service file from /usr/lib/systemd to /etc/systemd/system and make some changes to it. effectively, i guess that's exactly what you would be changing: just kill the process instead of waiting endlessly for it to shut down gracefully.

Code: Select all

macy@debian:/etc/systemd/system$ ls
bluetooth.target.wants                      graphical.target.wants
dbus-fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.service          multi-user.target.wants
dbus-org.bluez.service                      network-online.target.wants
dbus-org.freedesktop.Avahi.service          printer.target.wants
dbus-org.freedesktop.ModemManager1.service  sockets.target.wants
dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service  sysinit.target.wants
display-manager.service                     syslog.service
getty.target.wants                          timers.target.wants

macy@debian:/usr/lib/systemd$ ls
boot     tests  user-environment-generators  user-preset
catalog  user   user-generators
Thanks! But I don't quite follow. Above is what I have in both directories but I don't know whats relevant and what I'm changing.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ctrlAltVogue wrote:my "private internet access" applet
How did you install this?

Using the program's own mechanisms to effect the shutdown would seem to be a more "correct" solution but it is possible to run scripts at shutdown with systemd — a quick internet search will show you how ;)
deadbang

ctrlAltVogue

#5 Post by ctrlAltVogue »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
ctrlAltVogue wrote:my "private internet access" applet
How did you install this?

Using the program's own mechanisms to effect the shutdown would seem to be a more "correct" solution but it is possible to run scripts at shutdown with systemd — a quick internet search will show you how ;)
I downloaded the package from their website. I was just reading up on systemd earlier and think I understand what to do, I just gotta figure out how to do it exactly haha. I'll update in a day or two when I get it sorted out, or if I can't :lol:

debiman

#6 Post by debiman »

i assumed that installing "unknown private internet access package" would also install a systemd service, as is often the case.
maybe i assumed wrong.

op, please post output of:

dpkg -L "unknown private internet access package"
...and don't mess with system stuff unless you know what you're doing (maybe too late to issue that warning).

ctrlAltVogue

#7 Post by ctrlAltVogue »

debiman wrote:i assumed that installing "unknown private internet access package" would also install a systemd service, as is often the case.
maybe i assumed wrong.

op, please post output of:

dpkg -L "unknown private internet access package"

macy@debian:~$ sudo dpkg -L "unknown private internet access package"
dpkg-query: error: --listfiles needs a valid package name but 'unknown private internet access package' is not: illegal package name in specifier 'unknown private internet access package': character ' ' not allowed (only letters, digits and characters '-+._')
:P I'm not sure if it installed a systemd service or not. Obviously thats not the actual package name but running "dpkg-query -l" didn't list anything related to it so maybe it didn't after all? But the app definitely seems to be whats causing the shutdown hangups.
...and don't mess with system stuff unless you know what you're doing (maybe too late to issue that warning).
Eh now that I think about it, that app not working right was probably the reason I always used openVPN instead. I've just been using Mint/Ubuntu forever but I installed debian because I wanted to learn Linux more in depth and...idk mission success I guess hahaha. I didn't even know what systemd was until a few days ago anyway so my plan must be working!!!!

And I feel cool using upstream distros I guess.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

ctrlAltVogue wrote:

ok, i'm outta here...

ctrlAltVogue

#9 Post by ctrlAltVogue »

debiman wrote:
ctrlAltVogue wrote:

ok, i'm outta here...
lmaooo okay. Well, thanks anyway

SlidingHorn

#10 Post by SlidingHorn »

ctrlAltVogue wrote:
lmaooo okay. Well, thanks anyway
I think the point being made here is that it would be much easier to help you if you'd actually provide what application to which you're referring, how (exactly) you determined this is the case, how (exactly) you installed it, etc.

We're 8 replies in already and none of this information has been provided. It's almost impossible to know how to fix the issue you're having, because there's almost no background whatsoever. Just that there's some app you installed somehow, from somewhere, that (as far as we know) you arbitrarily decided is hanging at shutdown.

Detail is your friend! :)