Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Cannot launch google earth Debian 9 Stretch 64 bit

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
4joeyirosh1

[SOLVED] Cannot launch google earth Debian 9 Stretch 64 bit

#1 Post by 4joeyirosh1 »

Hi!I am a Debian newbie having installed Debian 9 Stretch 64 bit.I have tried installing google earth first by adding the following repository below on /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://dl.google.com/linux/earth/deb/ stable main

Next I installed the 2 packages below

apt-get install googleearth-package

apt-get install lsb-core

I assumed I had fully installed google earth but I how do I launch it?When I search for applications I cant find it.
Last edited by 4joeyirosh1 on 2018-04-07 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: Cannot launch google earth Debian 9 Stretch 64 bit

#2 Post by bw123 »

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=130229

Nobody can figure out your desktop menu, or what the pkg you installed will do better than you can. The reason is because nobody can guess what desktop or menu system you are using. Most packages have a readme file, or a man page, or some other documentation.

I often use 'apropos' command from a terminal when I can't find something.

Try typing 'apropos earth' from a terminal? Also some menu systems will search for a link when you start typing, so try opening the menu and type GOO and see if that helps. Documentation is usually in /usr/share/doc/PKGNAME

Please make some effort to find the answer before starting a lot of threads. The forum is a friendly place for the most part, but some people discourage a lot of new threads for really simple questions.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

4joeyirosh1

Re: Cannot launch google earth Debian 9 Stretch 64 bit

#3 Post by 4joeyirosh1 »

I have installed google earth ec stable and google earth ec stable from synaptic package manager and I can launch both successfully.

stevepusser

Re: [SOLVED] Cannot launch google earth Debian 9 Stretch 64

#4 Post by stevepusser »

You can now also download debs of Google Earth Pro free directly from Google, though the latest version has known bugs that make it unusable with my Intel Skylake 520 GPU. Since I have an Optimus laptop with Bumblebee working, I can get it working if I start it with optirun so the Nvidia card does the 3D rendering. The bug report I found also had a link to a slightly older deb of GE Pro that did work with the Intel GPU, too.
MX Linux packager and developer

carthago

#5 Post by carthago »

i also installed deb file with dpkg and now google-earth does not run the program. how to run it? apropos does find nothing

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Exactly what deb file did you install, and how did you do it? Please provide details, including terminal commands and output.
MX Linux packager and developer