Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Xorg error with new kernel

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
9WdjioAQ9eWD

Xorg error with new kernel

#1 Post by 9WdjioAQ9eWD »

Hi. I updated kernel from 4.9 to 4.15 and now when I use Kernel 4.15 it goes to login page and after I type login and password i get logged in for 2 seconds and then I get kicked back to login screen

Xorg error

Code: Select all

(EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
Using old Kernel all is okay.
I'm using nouveau, I tried to uninstall and install it and reconfigure but it didn't help.

I found on google what I should do

What counts is what kernel was running when the nvidia module was built, since it was built using the header files for that kernel, and it was installed where that kernel can find it to load. If you're running a different kernel now than you were when you built the nvidia module, you'll have to rebuild the nvidia module and reinstall it.
But I don't know how to do it

Xorg errors https://pastebin.com/fmgWnZf2

-------
Sorry for my username, I accidentally copy-paste something in username field, I wanted to set my username as zazise

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Xorg error with new kernel

#2 Post by sunrat »

9WdjioAQ9eWD wrote:Hi. I updated kernel from 4.9 to 4.15 and now when I use Kernel 4.15 it goes to login page and after I type login and password i get logged in for 2 seconds and then I get kicked back to login screen
Exactly what kernel is it and how did you install it?
Xorg error

(EE) Failed to load module "nv" (module does not exist, 0)
Using old Kernel all is okay.
I'm using nouveau, I tried to uninstall and install it and reconfigure but it didn't help.
There is no nv module these days. Basically replaced with nouveau.
I found on google what I should do

What counts is what kernel was running when the nvidia module was built, since it was built using the header files for that kernel, and it was installed where that kernel can find it to load. If you're running a different kernel now than you were when you built the nvidia module, you'll have to rebuild the nvidia module and reinstall it.
Doesn't apply to nouveau, that is for the proprietary driver.

Your pastebin is not there. Check journalctl, dmesg and logs in /var/log/ for more clues.
If you're using Gnome, see any of the multiple other posts in the last couple of days for an error that snuck in for GDM. I doubt it's that though as it would't let you boot the old kernel either.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Wheelerof4te

#3 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Is there a specific need for newer kernel from backports? 4.9 series is LTS, so it'll get upgrades for a long time.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Is there a specific need for newer kernel from backports? 4.9 series is LTS, so it'll get upgrades for a long time.
True. If 4.9 is working, use it.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

9WdjioAQ9eWD

#5 Post by 9WdjioAQ9eWD »

sunrat wrote: how did you install it?
Upgraded to testing
sunrat wrote: Your pastebin is not there. Check journalctl, dmesg and logs in /var/log/ for more clues.
If you're using Gnome, see any of the multiple other posts in the last couple of days for an error that snuck in for GDM. I doubt it's that though as it would't let you boot the old kernel either.
https://pastebin.com/5cZsadF9

sunrat wrote:
Wheelerof4te wrote:Is there a specific need for newer kernel from backports? 4.9 series is LTS, so it'll get upgrades for a long time.
True. If 4.9 is working, use it.
If I knew that I will have such errors I wouldn't update to testing, but now seems there is no way back(as I know from testing you cannot switch back to stable). Also if I wanted new kernel I should update only kernel and do not change repositories to testing, but now it's to late :(

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

9WdjioAQ9eWD wrote:Upgraded to testing
Moving from stable to testing is not an "upgrade", the development branches break regularly and are not intended for n00bs — go back to stable.

EDIT: by which I mean reinstall from scratch.
deadbang

9WdjioAQ9eWD

#7 Post by 9WdjioAQ9eWD »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Moving from stable to testing is not an "upgrade", the development branches break regularly and are not intended for n00bs — go back to stable.

Is there a way to fix this without reinstalling ?
If I reinstall I will have alot of work then, I will need to set all settings and install all packages I need

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

9WdjioAQ9eWD wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

If I reinstall I will have alot of work then, I will need to set all settings and install all packages I need
Sounds like you botched the "upgrade" to testing. You broke it, and you're the only one who knows how. You didn't explain how it got that way.

You said it works okay with the old kernel, so use that for now. In the long run, it's probably going to be hard to use apt and keep the system updated.

Reinstall with stretch won't be all that bad, back up you home and data.

p.s. try creating a new user and see if you can login, maybe it's a config issue with only that user?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

9WdjioAQ9eWD

#9 Post by 9WdjioAQ9eWD »

bw123 wrote:
9WdjioAQ9eWD wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: Moving from stable to testing is not an "upgrade", the development branches break regularly and are not intended for n00bs — go back to stable.

Sounds like you botched the "upgrade" to testing. You broke it, and you're the only one who knows how. You didn't explain how it got that way.

You said it works okay with the old kernel, so use that for now. In the long run, it's probably going to be hard to use apt and keep the system updated.

Reinstall with stretch won't be all that bad, back up you home and data.

p.s. try creating a new user and see if you can login, maybe it's a config issue with only that user?

I just changed in sources.list all to testing and use apt-get update upgrade

It's not a user config issue
Sometimes if I go with new kernel to TTY and then back to login screen and login it's okay and I can run new kernel but if I start Kernel Virtual Machine it kickes me to Login screen.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by sunrat »

9WdjioAQ9eWD wrote:I just changed in sources.list all to testing and use apt-get update upgrade
For a start, you probably need to do apt dist-upgrade after doing that. And there are things that can go wrong when upgrading release versions.
It's much safer to use backports if you just want new packages in Stable. And it's much easier to run Stable, as Testing has an eternal upgrade cycle so is hard work to maintain. Testing is more likely to break without warning. I only remember one time when Stable broke - last week. :shock:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

9WdjioAQ9eWD

#11 Post by 9WdjioAQ9eWD »

sunrat wrote:
9WdjioAQ9eWD wrote:I just changed in sources.list all to testing and use apt-get update upgrade
For a start, you probably need to do apt dist-upgrade after doing that. And there are things that can go wrong when upgrading release versions.
It's much safer to use backports if you just want new packages in Stable. And it's much easier to run Stable, as Testing has an eternal upgrade cycle so is hard work to maintain. Testing is more likely to break without warning. I only remember one time when Stable broke - last week. :shock:
I've done dist-upgrade as well
If Iit's almost impossible to fix this would be a solution to repositories to backports and do a apt-get upgrade update dist upgrade and use the working kernel