Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HYPHENS in Hostnames......a bad thing.....?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
OHPRG

HYPHENS in Hostnames......a bad thing.....?

#1 Post by OHPRG »

So this isint really a question, more of a "discovery" if you will.....

It seems that Debian (maybe other distros too..?) add a HYPHEN to the name when creating Volume Groups.....ie <Computer-1> becomes
<Computer--1-vg-root>...(note the DOUBLE dash after "Computer").....

Which tends to really mess things up...IF you try and CHANGE the Hostname, which come to find out is not as cut and dried as some make it sound.you will find yourself in a busybox if your lucky, at which point you had better know your way around vi.

HINT: Check in /etc/fstab for the proper nomenclature......6hrs down the rabbit hole today to figure this one out....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
‘Wow! What a Ride!”

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HYPHENS in Hostnames......a bad thing.....?

#2 Post by p.H »

Are you talking about hostnames or volume group names ? They have nothing to do with each other.

Hyphens in hostnames are perfectly fine.

LVM doubles hyhens in volume group and logical volume names when combining them into the /dev/mapper/vg-lv device name (actually a symlink to the real device /dev/dm-N), in order to differentiate them from the hyphen used to separate the volume group and the logical volume.
Bottom line : avoid hyphens in volume group and logical volume names.

OHPRG

#3 Post by OHPRG »

Correct I do mean volume group names, I am now suffering from a "mapper" issue that seems related I have another post about it which I am afraid i dont know how to link here but I will try and find a way....
As of right now the system is un usable....

this may do the trick:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=137603
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming
‘Wow! What a Ride!”

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

OHPRG wrote:Which tends to really mess things up...IF you try and CHANGE the Hostname, which come to find out is not as cut and dried as some make it sound.you will find yourself in a busybox if your lucky, at which point you had better know your way around vi.

HINT: Check in /etc/fstab for the proper nomenclature......6hrs down the rabbit hole today to figure this one out....
sounds like you took a wrong turn somewhere, borked your system, are angry and eager to spread the blame around...
in any case, there's no valid problem description here.
what messed up? what helped?
commands and their output, no paraphrasing.
please.

OHPRG

#5 Post by OHPRG »

Please see:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? ... 21#p673821

My deepest apologies if I am using the forum incorrectly. I am new to this and may not be as proficient SIR as yourself, however I don't think that it is cause to reply angrily, as it could serve only to make some feel as if they don't belong. Which I think defeats the purpose of this forum, and leads some to think that the users here are arrogant and inflexible, which I am sure you are not.

I do try my best, to provide the best.

If not mistaken I do believe that on <2018-05-23 19:34 > I DID in fact directly state that I may have errantly posted in either the wrong location or in too many locations and left a link in that post to the other post with the troubleshooting commands and output, so that it COULD be referenced to if such were the case.

Thank you for your comment and insight to my issue and my continuing education.
‘Wow! What a Ride!”