Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I tried to start up xfce4 on my Debian system that I set up.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
SoftwareSlicer

I tried to start up xfce4 on my Debian system that I set up.

#1 Post by SoftwareSlicer »

When I used startxfce4 in the terminal, It didn't start up properly... :(

One thing to consider however is that I did have Debian set up on my phone as a chroot which is the device I am using to post on the forum.

Here is the terminal output:

Code: Select all

root@localhost:/# startxfce4
/usr/bin/startxfce4: Starting X server

libudev: udev_has_devtmpfs: name_to_handle_at on /dev: Function not implemented
libudev: udev_monitor_new_from_netlink_fd: error getting socket: Permission denied
[config] failed to pre-init udev

X.Org X Server 1.16.4
Release Date: 2014-12-20
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.9.0-4-armmp-lpae armv7l Debian
Current Operating System: Linux localhost 3.10.84-g2ccb7a8 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Feb 3 22:42:15 CST 2018 armv7l
Build Date: 16 October 2017  09:26:27AM
xorg-server 2:1.16.4-1+deb8u2 (http://www.debian.org/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.32.6
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Thu May 17 16:47:45 2018
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open /dev/tty0 (No such file or directory)
(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
         at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error
root@localhost:/#

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: I tried to start up xfce4 on my Debian system that I set

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Don't run X as root, that's a really bad idea.

Try this as your normal user:

Code: Select all

startx
deadbang

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

SoftwareSlicer wrote:One thing to consider however is that I did have Debian set up on my phone as a chroot
^ I missed this bit (sorry), can you explain more please?
deadbang

SoftwareSlicer

#4 Post by SoftwareSlicer »

So basically I got this app called gnuroot Debian on my phone that installs a basic copy of Debian as what I believe is a chroot on top of Android.
It installs Debian as well as the twm window manager with xterm if you want to use a rudimentary GUI instead of just the terminal. Because of the chroot, The system is convinced that I have root access even when I haven't actually rooted my device.
My Moto g4 that I installed the system on is able to run Debian pretty well although I wanted a better window manager so I tried to install xfce4. That seemed to work but it couldn't start up properly even after some research to see if I have installed it correctly.

Thanks in advance, SoftwareSlicer

kevinthefixer

#5 Post by kevinthefixer »

SoftwareSlicer wrote:So basically I got this app called gnuroot Debian on my phone that installs a basic copy of Debian as what I believe is a chroot on top of Android.
It installs Debian as well as the twm window manager with xterm if you want to use a rudimentary GUI instead of just the terminal. Because of the chroot, The system is convinced that I have root access even when I haven't actually rooted my device.
My Moto g4 that I installed the system on is able to run Debian pretty well although I wanted a better window manager so I tried to install xfce4. That seemed to work but it couldn't start up properly even after some research to see if I have installed it correctly.

Thanks in advance, SoftwareSlicer
Just to nitpick, IIRC GNURoot Debian uses proot rather than chroot. No practical difference here. You are likely out of luck unless you're a dev yourself, and if so you don't need our help! Obviously XFCE4 needs some base packages that aren't there. You could try unpacking the Android .apk and adding them and repacking it, but it's a lot of work and no guarantees at all. Might be worth contacting the app developer, they might be interested in getting XFCE working. My recommendation is to stick with Android, it's optimized for your hardware. Maybe look for a Cyanogenmod ROM for it?