Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to change the time servers?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
duser

How to change the time servers?

#1 Post by duser »

After clean Debian 9.4 installation external firewall started to block UDP 123 to outside world. I did not install NTP server so it must be some workstation time syncing feature.

I can't find any documentation how to change the time servers. All docs I find are about installing the time server and I do not want to do that.

How can I change the time servers after almost default installation (I added ssh and removed print server)? I must be able to use our own time server.

dcihon

Re: How to change the time servers?

#2 Post by dcihon »

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by None1975 »

Hello. You can use systemd-timesyncd. The systemd-timesyncd service is available with systemd. To start and enable it, simply run:

Code: Select all

# timedatectl set-ntp true 
To check the service status, use

$ timedatectl status

$ timedatectl status

Local time: Thu 2015-07-09 18:21:33 CEST
Universal time: Thu 2015-07-09 16:21:33 UTC
RTC time: Thu 2015-07-09 16:21:33
Time zone: Europe/Amsterdam (CEST, +0200)
Network time on: yes
NTP synchronized: yes
RTC in local TZ: no
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

duser

#4 Post by duser »

Thank you for information. Answer to my question seems to be editing /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf, I'll try that.

OPTIONS
The following settings are configured in the "[Time]" section:

NTP=
A space-separated list of NTP server host names or IP addresses. During runtime this list is combined with
any per-interface NTP servers acquired from systemd-networkd.service(8). systemd-timesyncd will contact
all configured system or per-interface servers in turn until one is found that responds. This setting
defaults to an empty list.

debiman

#5 Post by debiman »

do you mean server as in a software that runs on your computer and serves something (time, assumably), or do you mean external servers that provide time to your machine, on request?

duser

#6 Post by duser »

I just wanted to sync time of my machine but from our company time servers. Editing /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf did the trick.