Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

login credentials send over network

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
kyl5

login credentials send over network

#1 Post by kyl5 »

When logging into GNU/Linux after booting the system, does the login credentials (login name + password (+ authenticator-code) get send over the network?
Would it be possible when logging into System A. to sniff the login details on System B.?
If i am right, when logging into a system, it sends a post message with login details over the network, i did not test this myself and i am not 100% sure.

arzgi

Re: login credentials send over network

#2 Post by arzgi »

I don't know, where did you get that idea of login credentials sent to network. You can login to debian without any network connection.

But if you need to login from one computer to another, ssh is good option, and it is secure.

debiman

Re: login credentials send over network

#3 Post by debiman »

arzgi wrote:I don't know, where did you get that idea of login credentials sent to network. You can login to debian without any network connection.
this. no more FUD.
But if you need to login from one computer to another, ssh is good option, and it is secure.
secure if you disable root login and password login and use ssh keys.
use your favorite search engine to learn the details. or debian wiki, even better.