Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Packages libnss-winbind & libpam-winbind (Debian 6)

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
dbdy2256

Packages libnss-winbind & libpam-winbind (Debian 6)

#1 Post by dbdy2256 »

Hi !
I work on a company which has several servers in Debian 6 and 8. I had to join the Linux servers to the Active Directory (AD).
I used this tutorial to join the Debian servers : https://wiki.debian.org/AuthenticatingL ... eDirectory
I saw the packages libpam-winbind and libnss-winbind don't exist on Debian 6. Are they really necessary for Debian 8? I would like to understand how it works on Debian 6 without those packages.
Also, I noticed when I'm on the root account on Debian 8 and I authenticate with an user of the AD, it asks a password. But in debian 6, it doesn't. Is is because of the package libpam-winbind?
If someone can help me to understand...
(Sorry if my English isn't perfect, English isn't my mother tongue.

debiman

Re: Packages libnss-winbind & libpam-winbind (Debian 6)

#2 Post by debiman »

i don't understand your question.
i suspect you are thinking about this in the wrong way.

in any case, debian 6 is dead, dead, dead. EOL. stable is at 9 now.
hell, even debian 7 is EOL.

so there isn't much point comparing debian 6 to anything.

tell that to your company please: they need to re-install, because i fear even a dist-upgrade won't work.