Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Changing permissions on samba shares

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
andy638

Changing permissions on samba shares

#1 Post by andy638 »

Hello

I have a small server running Debian Stretch and some workstations running a mix of Debian Stretch, some Ubuntu and one or two Windows Machines. I'm using Samba to share files from the server and I mount the shares on the Linux workstations using mount.cifs from /etc/fstab

Is it possible with this setup to set and clear Unix file permissions for the files and directories on the shares from the Debian and Ubuntu workstations? I thought that this should be possible with the Samba "UNIX extensions" but I can't figure out how to get it to work. I've tried lots of combinations of options in both the smb.conf file on the server and in the mount options in fstab, but to no avail. I've tried reading some of the samba documentation but not been able to figure it out from that either. Also, I note that https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/UNIX_E ... troduction says
Note that the CIFS dialect is being deprecated, and that POSIX extensions for the current, and much more secure, version of the protocol family (SMB3.11 dialect) haven been defined.
However, the linked page about POSIX extensions appears to indicate it;s a work in progress and doesn't give clear instructions on how to use it.

So, can anyone suggest a basic configuration which will let me mount samba shares from my Linux workstations and be able to change the permission flags?

Thanks

Andy