Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Shares without NetworkManager

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
joe2017

Shares without NetworkManager

#1 Post by joe2017 »

Hello

I have a standard Debian 9.4.0 Stretch installation. I do not want to use NetworkManager. I stopped it, deactivated it and then uninstalled.

Code: Select all

systemctl stop NetworkManager
systemctl disable NetworkManager
apt remove NetworkManager
My network card is now configured with /etc/network/interfaces. I have a connection to all my servers and also to the internet.

If I want to set up a share (File Sharing, Screen Sharing, Media Sharing), I get the error message that no networks are selected for sharing.
You can find the settings under: All Settings - Share - (File Sharing, Screen Sharing, Media Sharing)

arzgi

Re: Shares without NetworkManager

#2 Post by arzgi »

joe2017 wrote:Hello

If I want to set up a share (File Sharing, Screen Sharing, Media Sharing), I get the error message that no networks are selected for sharing.
You can find the settings under: All Settings - Share - (File Sharing, Screen Sharing, Media Sharing)
I am not sure, if you asked anything, but I have used curl and curlftpfs to access external ftp-servers and my NAS.
NAS also had internal ftp-server. Also ssh between desktop (server) and laptop (client).

joe2017

#3 Post by joe2017 »

the problem is that the shares can no longer be turned on under Gnome once the Network Manager has been deactivated.

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

It might be that gnome depends on network manager to allow that funtion. I'd try enabling network manager, is it possible then. If it is so, maybe it is time to thing something else.

joe2017

#5 Post by joe2017 »

joe2017 wrote:

did you read my first message? I want to configure my clients as well as my servers with /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf

arzgi

#6 Post by arzgi »

joe2017 wrote:
joe2017 wrote:

did you read my first message? I want to configure my clients as well as my servers with /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf
Yes I did. Did you read my previos message?

There is nothing wrong, if you want to use interfaces, I do as well, But if you must use Gnomes file sharing, as I understood, that might not work without network manager.

There, now I have written it twice.

And I already mentioned ftp and ssh.

debiman

#7 Post by debiman »

joe2017 wrote:did you read my first message?
uninstalling networkmanager! yay!
I want to configure my clients as well as my servers with /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf
i applaud that!
but then you cannot expect to continue using gnome gui utilities.