Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GRUB configuration

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
nobitakun

GRUB configuration

#1 Post by nobitakun »

I'm turning crazy because I need to accomplish a self destruction of a computer and I don't exactly know how to deal with it. I have only one partition with Windows 10, and customised bootmgr with BCDEdit to launch NeoGrub. I want to do it through 2 ways:

1 - Make NeoGrub to mount the hdd and execute command "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1"
2 - Make NeoGrub to execute a minimal custom linux, mount the hdd an execute command "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1"

The purpose of this is to create a script through the domain that changes the default option of NeoGrub from Windows 10 to that Linux, restarts the computer and then the NeoGrub does the rest.

I'm absolutely sure that this procedure can be done through any GRUB, the problem is that I'm new to this and I don't know what syntax is needed to do it.

Thank you for your help! :)

GarryRicketson

Re: GRUB configuration

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

They could use a Linux live device, mount the drive, run the 'dd' command and start clean. If this NEOGRUB is on it's own partition, they could write the 'dd' command so it only zeros the other partitions that Windows is using,....
---the problem is that I'm new to this and I don't know what syntax is needed to do it.
The problem is, you don't give us any details on the HD configuration, partitions , etc.
What you show here, (and in the future please use code boxes ) like this:

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=1 
"sda" is the entire drive,so it would not only wipe the windows, but also everything else,including the NEOGRUB, .... I would simply wipe the drive, and then install Debian, the Debian installer will install Grub. IF for some reason you simply must have neogrub, you could install it again, maybe make a backup of your current "customized" NEOGRUB, but to be honest I don't see any reason to even use it, but that is your option.
If you use a external device, with some sort of Linux on it, you can use the
'lsblk' comand to see what devices/partitions, and show us the output, then someone might be able to help with the correct syntax.
The purpose of this is to create a script through the domain that changes the default option of NeoGrub from Windows 10 to that Linux,
Which "Linux" ? There are 100s of distros, and they all have differences,...

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

It's not a good problem description. You want self-destruction? Why?
I have only one partition with Windows 10, and customised bootmgr with BCDEdit to launch NeoGrub.
One partition, why not just boot a live system and do it from there? or boot another os install disk and reinstall, or take the drive out and drive a nail through it? Or chuck the whole machine into the deep blue? What is the end goal?
purpose of this is to create a script through the domain that changes the default option of NeoGrub from Windows 10 to that Linux, restarts the computer and then the NeoGrub does the rest.
okay, you want to replace the default option from win10 to linux, but you only have one partition, and it has win10 on it?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

apparently neogrub can do all sorts of wondrous things:
https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/neogrub/
but i don't see how this has anything to do with debian.
anyhow, they do have a wiki, and also forums:
https://neosmart.net/forums/

nobitakun

#5 Post by nobitakun »

Ohh, it's nice, I think I explained correctly but most of your comments are very harsh.

Partition 1 -> Windows boot partition (hidden)
Partition 2 -> Windows 10 partition (where Neogrub is)

Stop asking what is the purpose of that, I just want to do an automatic simple wipe because I woke up one morning and wanted to do it.

I don't care installing GRUB2 or whatever I have to install to simply boot into a linux from there and start doing DD command automatically to ALL MY HDD. So linux needs to be loaded tomem. The Linux distro does not matter, I want something that can be loaded and execute dd command, that's all. If I only need to boot the kernel and the initrd then it's ok, I don't care, whatever it is needed to boot something into ram and execute a dd is the purpose of this.

Thanks.

arzgi

#6 Post by arzgi »

nobitakun wrote:Ohh, it's nice, I think I explained correctly but most of your comments are very harsh.

Stop asking what is the purpose of that, I just want to do an automatic simple wipe because I woke up one morning and wanted to do it.

I don't care installing GRUB2 or whatever I have to install to simply boot into a linux from there and start doing DD command automatically to ALL MY HDD. So linux needs to be loaded tomem. The Linux distro does not matter, I want something that can be loaded and execute dd command, that's all. If I only need to boot the kernel and the initrd then it's ok, I don't care, whatever it is needed to boot something into ram and execute a dd is the purpose of this.

Thanks.
As Garry Ricketson has pointed, easiest method would use any live distro, Debian, Knoppix, etc. and wipe hdd:s. There is no need to install linux to do dd.

This is not a help desk, it is a user forum of Debian users.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

@OP, We are trying to be nice, but you are making complicated.
The first answer:
wizard10000 wrote:NeoGrub can't do either of those things. grub isn't Linux; it uses its own shell and can't run Linux commands.

Sorry -
Is correct, Grub and NeoGrub can not do these things for you.
You need to download a linux live CD/DVD image and make a live cd, then you can run the 'dd' command from the CD, (or USB device).
The linux 'dd' command is not something to take lightly, it is a very powerful tool, you should do a search, use the key words

Code: Select all

How to use the dd command to wipe a hd
However all of this is not really necessary:
I don't care installing GRUB2 or whatever I have to install to simply boot into a linux from there and start doing DD command automatically to ALL MY HDD.
You Can NOT, boot into "a linux" , if you do not have a linux OS installed. Most
linux distros have a "Live CD", that also can be used to install the distro, you
download the image, make a boot,CD,DVD, or USB device.
You can then either install the OS, in which case the installer will ask if you want to use the entire drive, if you select YES, it will wipe the drive, and install the OS (a Linux ), there are many distros, you should read the documentation
on various ones, and then decide which one you want to use, Pay particular attention to if they do have "live CD" images, some don't.
There is plenty of documentation on doing this, but you need to do a search and read some of it.
When you install the Linux system, it will also install grub automatically, but if you want to use this NEOGRUB, you will need to read the documentation on their site, and install it again, that is beyond the scope of this forum.

If all you have is 1 OS and 1 partition, there is no need for it, Grub is configured automatically when you install linux and it will boot into linux.
https://www.marksanborn.net/howto/wipin ... e-with-dd/
========================
https://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd
======================
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Securely_wipe_disk
====================
http://how-to.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_wip ... n_in_Linux
===================
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/top- ... rescue-cds
==========
Learn how to do your own searches, if you don't like the kind of answers people give you on forums, you could have found the solutions to this with out ever asking anyone besides the search engine.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

nobitakun wrote:Ohh, it's nice, I think I explained correctly but most of your comments are very harsh.

Thanks.
please refer to my previous post.
you have not acknowledged that you searched the neosmart wiki/forums, and what you found there, and what you tried and how exactly it failed.
i think you are just looking for a handout, tbh (if not, prove it).
apart from not doing handouts on principle, you are simply looking in the wrong place.
debian has nothing to do with this neosmart/neogrub thingymajick.

Dai_trying

#9 Post by Dai_trying »

What you could do is use something like Tiny Core which in it's most basic form is an 11Mb linux distribution that could be used to wipe your HDD, although it is not as simple to use as debian/ubuntu/raspbian/etc... but with a little research I'm sure it could be set to do what you want.

:!: Just re-read your original post and as you are "new to all this" my suggestion is likely to involve more learning than you want to do... :idea: Just go with a Live-cd and within a couple of minutes your system will be wiped and you can then install whatever Linux you want.

kevinthefixer

#10 Post by kevinthefixer »

In the meantime, if you are engaging in wholesale vandalism as I suspect, please look elsewhere for help. I cannot think of a good reason to do a secure wipe to ALL your HDDs and you have indicated reluctance to supply one. If these HDDs are indeed yours this might be legal (unless you're doing it to avoid prosecution), but it's still not good. Don't tell me to mind my own business, either, you posted this bizarre request on a public forum!