Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVEDHelp with mesa gallium nine install (Debian 9 Stretch)

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
lando32

SOLVEDHelp with mesa gallium nine install (Debian 9 Stretch)

#1 Post by lando32 »

Hello all,

I've been trying to install mesa with gallium nine, and I'm trying to compile it from source. I try to run the autogen.sh script that comes with it and I get the following error:

Code: Select all

configure: error: LLVM 3.9.0 or newer is required for r600
when trying to run

Code: Select all

sudo sh autogen.sh --enable-nine --enable-llvm
autogen.sh requires LLVM 3.9 with llvm-config, so I thought that would come with llvm-3.9-dev, but whenever I delete llvm-3.8-dev and install llvm-3.9-dev, it says that I don't have llvm-config installed at all.

Any help with this is appreciated. Thanks.

Edit:

I solved the issue now, I had to go add the LLVM nightly PPA, add the archive signature key, and then update & upgrade

stevepusser

Re: SOLVEDHelp with mesa gallium nine install (Debian 9 Stre

#2 Post by stevepusser »

I would not say that a PPA is really solving the issue at all.

Why not backport the upstream Mesa packages or rebuild the one in stretch-backports with gallium 9? Backports also has llvm-5.0 and llvm-6.0 that are necessary...I'm running Mesa 18.1.3 on a Stretch base right now, in fact.
MX Linux packager and developer

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by None1975 »

lando32 wrote:I solved the issue now, I had to go add the LLVM nightly PPA, add the archive signature key, and then update & upgrade
You have not solved this problem, but only more complicated. Congratulations. You created a FrankenDebian :D
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

lando32

#4 Post by lando32 »

stevepusser wrote:I would not say that a PPA is really solving the issue at all.

Why not backport the upstream Mesa packages or rebuild the one in stretch-backports with gallium 9? Backports also has llvm-5.0 and llvm-6.0 that are necessary...I'm running Mesa 18.1.3 on a Stretch base right now, in fact.
Sorry, I meant that I added the llvm repo to my sources.list file, and then updated. I just got off ubuntu, so I'm still calling them PPAs. I'll get better eventually :D

lando32

#5 Post by lando32 »

None1975 wrote:
lando32 wrote:I solved the issue now, I had to go add the LLVM nightly PPA, add the archive signature key, and then update & upgrade
You have not solved this problem, but only more complicated. Congratulations. You created a FrankenDebian :D
Good thing that I didn't add a PPA then. I didn't know that they are an issue on Debian. I'm guessing using backports is the better option then?

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

I believe that the LLVM third party repo team does a good job of making sure that their packages are compatible with the target Debian release. in contrast, PPA packagers don't build Debian packages at all; Launchpad only builds on Ubuntu platforms. They may or may not work on Debian, but have often created issues in the past.

The backports repo is maintained by Debian, see backports.org.
MX Linux packager and developer

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by None1975 »

lando32 wrote: I'm guessing using backports is the better option then?
Yes, of course.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github