Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Jessie periodicaly wants to do a full BPO upgrade

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
stevepusser

Re: Jessie system periodicaly wants to do a full BPO upgrade

#61 Post by stevepusser »

Hey, I'm the guy that is packaging Pale Moon! The older 27 version that the OP is using just depended on "ffmpeg" or libav-tools" with out a version, so would have been happy with libav-tools in Jessie, but since ffmpeg was available in their always-enabled backports repo and ffmpeg was listed as the first choice, it pulled that in from backports.

For the 28.X Pale Moon versions that I'd suggest the OP upgrade to, I refined the dependency to use various choices for libavcodec 57, including some only found in older versions of Ubuntu:

libavcodec54 | libavcodec-extra54 | libavcodec55 | libavcodec-extra55 | libavcodec56 | libavcodec-extra56 | libavcodec57 | libavcodec-extra57 | libavcodec58 | libavcodec-extra58 | libavcodec-ffmpeg56 | libavcodec-ffmpeg-extra56

I copied the original list over from Debian's Firefox, but made it a hard dependency because I can't assume how the user has their "install Recommended packages" policy set up, and don't want to keep getting questions about why online video playback doesn't work. :? The Pale Moon developers agreed with this decision.

I know in Synaptic, you can fiddle with the repo settings so that backports becomes the preferred repository, but I don't know if that affects apt-get on the command line or if the OP changed the repo settings.
MX Linux packager and developer

No_windows

#62 Post by No_windows »

stevepusser wrote:Hey, I'm the guy that is packaging Pale Moon! The older 27 version that the OP is using just depended on "ffmpeg" or libav-tools" with out a version, so would have been happy with libav-tools in Jessie, but since ffmpeg was available in their always-enabled backports repo and ffmpeg was listed as the first choice, it pulled that in from backports.

For the 28.X Pale Moon versions that I'd suggest the OP upgrade to...
I am running 28.1.0~repack-1

stevepusser

#63 Post by stevepusser »

OK, so 28.1.0 would install the highest version of libavcodec that it saw available.

By the way, I just checked the code repo and PM 28.2.0 source code is out today, though unannounced, probably because the official packages are still building.

No_windows

#64 Post by No_windows »

stevepusser wrote:OK, so 28.1.0 would install the highest version of libavcodec that it saw available.
I just removed it... since I also have libavcodec-extra56 installed. I wonder if the two have been fighting. I've noticed that on this system Palemoon will often freeze with video, on Twitter. It will un-freeze after a minute, but it might go through that a few times.

This means I have nothing from Backports at the moment.
By the way, I just checked the code repo and PM 28.2.0 source code is out today, though unannounced, probably because the official packages are still building.
How quickly does it take you to do what you need to do, to release it for Debian? I'm not in a hurry... just wondering.

No_windows

#65 Post by No_windows »

No_windows wrote: How quickly does it take you to do what you need to do, to release it for Debian? I'm not in a hurry... just wondering.
Well alright then... 2 days 8)

No_windows

#66 Post by No_windows »

At this point, I've closed Backports. I'm still not sure why I was having the issue with it wanting to spontaneously upgrade everything, but it should not be a problem anymore.

stevepusser

#67 Post by stevepusser »

No_windows wrote:
No_windows wrote: How quickly does it take you to do what you need to do, to release it for Debian? I'm not in a hurry... just wondering.
Well alright then... 2 days 8)
Well, it usually takes the OBS build farm about 30-60 minutes to build Pale Moon from the source, but for some reason I had to specify more than 10 GB RAM in the workers to get successful builds for Ubuntu 18.10. I held off on publishing the builds to the world until the official announcement from Moonchild on the 13th, though.