Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Nvidia problems with kernel 4.16 from stretch-backports

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
iamthehorker

Nvidia problems with kernel 4.16 from stretch-backports

#1 Post by iamthehorker »

I recently installed linux-image-4.16.0-0.bpo.2-amd64, linux-headers-4.16.0-0.bpo.2-all-amd64, and linux-headers-4.16.0-0.bpo.2-common, but the system won't boot outside recovery mode. The problem seems to be related to my nvidia drivers. I made sure all dependencies are met by using apt-cache -t stretch-backports show <package> to determine dependencies and ensured the following packages were up to date and the appropriate version (they already were it turned out):

Code: Select all

linux-base
kmod
initramfs-tools
linux-headers-4.16.0.0.bpo.2-common
linux-kbuild-4.16
linux-compiler-gcc-6-x86
Booting gives the following error:

Clicking logout gives a black screen for a few seconds, then this screen reappears. I came across a potential fix where you add "slab_common.usercopy_fallback=y" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in /etc/default/grub (described here and here) and updating grub, but it had no effect. If I attempt to run sudo apt-get -t stretch-backports upgrade I get the following conflicts:

Code: Select all

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libegl1-glvnd-nvidia : Conflicts: libegl1 (> 0) but 1.0.0+git20180308-2~bpo9+1 is to be installed
 libgl1-glvnd-nvidia-glx : Conflicts: libgl1 (> 0)
 libgles2-glvnd-nvidia : Conflicts: libgles2 (> 0)
 libglvnd0-nvidia : Conflicts: libglvnd0 but 1.0.0+git20180308-2~bpo9+1 is to be installed
 libglx0-glvnd-nvidia : Conflicts: libglx0 but 1.0.0+git20180308-2~bpo9+1 is to be installed
 libopengl0-glvnd-nvidia : Conflicts: libopengl0 but 1.0.0+git20180308-2~bpo9+1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages
Would it be unwise to attempt to install these packages on my system? Does anyone else here have experience with this issue?

bw123

Re: Nvidia problems with kernel 4.16 from stretch-backports

#2 Post by bw123 »

Why did you need the backport ver? Did the stable version not work? There are a lot of threads about nvidia issues lately, so if you have a known working setup I would stick with it.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

iamthehorker

#3 Post by iamthehorker »

bw123 wrote:Why did you need the backport ver? Did the stable version not work? There are a lot of threads about nvidia issues lately, so if you have a known working setup I would stick with it.
I am considering a hardware upgrade that would require kernel 4.15+ (AMD Vega GPU). I wanted to ensure I could run that on my system before upgrading. Ironically, the nvidia drivers that seem to be the issue would not be present on my system after the upgrade, but I want to ensure I can reliably run the new kernel beforehand. I'm in somewhat of a catch 22 situation, though I can still run my system on 4.16 in recovery mode. I upgraded the nvidia-drivers package from stretch-backports, but that didn't resolve the issue.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

So GNOME is broken when you boot with the standard 4.9 kernel, too?
MX Linux packager and developer

iamthehorker

#5 Post by iamthehorker »

stevepusser wrote:So GNOME is broken when you boot with the standard 4.9 kernel, too?
Nope, I can choose 4.9 in grub and boot into gnome without any issues.