Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to prevent a package from installing in a dist-upgrade

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
ckosloff

How to prevent a package from installing in a dist-upgrade

#1 Post by ckosloff »

I am in the testing branch and had a bad experience with package libcap-ng0, which was automatically installed and causes segmentation fault, there is a bug filed against that package but no fix yet, and it is not possible to purge it, because it will drag with it dbus and apt.
I have another computer on testing, which does not have this package installed, and I want to run a dist-upgrade on it, but I want to prevent libcap-ng0 from installing.
What syntax should I use?

bw123

Re: How to prevent a package from installing in a dist-upgra

#2 Post by bw123 »

Depending on your setup you could probably manage without dbus, but not without apt, so I would not recommend this. If apt depends on the pkg, don;t prevent it from being installed.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Could you force a downgrade of the package first, then check for a clean purge?

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

In my Stretch there is a very long list of packages that depend on libcap-ng0. I doubt that it is the source of your problem.

As you know, things break in Testing.

ckosloff

#5 Post by ckosloff »

I don't think that those fundamental packages depend on libcap-ng0, I think that it is rather the opposite, according to what that packegae does or not.
I think the best option is to downgrade the package, but I don't know how to do this.
Please help.

ckosloff

#6 Post by ckosloff »

Bulkley wrote:In my Stretch there is a very long list of packages that depend on libcap-ng0. I doubt that it is the source of your problem.

As you know, things break in Testing.
There is a bug filed against that package because it causes segmentation fault, however there is no newer version.