[SOLVED] Getting black screen after system sleep laptop xfce

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

[SOLVED] Getting black screen after system sleep laptop xfce

Postby manny6 » 2018-08-08 23:30

I am refurbishing an old Lonovo x130e Thinkpad for a friend which i don't use anymore.

I installed Debian 9 xfce on it, since it light weight on ram.

I can log in fine, but when i put the laptop to sleep (suspend), when i wake it up and login, the login screen appears fine, but after i enter the user name and password, then i get a black screen.

If i put it to sleep again, then log in as root, i can force log out the other account with
Code: Select all
skill -KILL -u <username>

Then i can logout as root, and log into the other account. The other account works fine.

Same this happens to root, if i put the computer to sleep as root I get a black screen. But if i use
sudo skill -KILL -u root
from user account it must kill root processes, was forced out of user account, and when i get back in, no icons just blank page.

I was wondering if there was a fix,
Last edited by manny6 on 2018-08-11 18:10, edited 2 times in total.
manny6

Re: getting black screen after system sleep, laptop xfce

Postby None1975 » 2018-08-09 14:12

manny6 wrote: But if i use
sudo skill -KILL -u root
from user account it must kill root processes, was forced out of user account, and when i get back in, no icons just blank page.

Some kind of nonesense. How can a simple user, with increased privileges finish the root process? It may be that I'm wrong, but you have something in the system. Something very bad.
None1975

Postby manny6 » 2018-08-09 20:27

None1975 wrote:
manny6 wrote: But if i use
sudo skill -KILL -u root

Some kind of nonesense. How can a simple user, with increased privileges finish the root process? It may be that I'm wrong, but you have something in the system. Something very bad.

I just tried it again, with a computer that has no issues. I got a dark screen with a cursor in the top left what was white and horizontal and nothing worked. I was forced to use the power button to turn off the laptop.

If you have a personal computer with Linux on it, try it. It's one line of code. Just make sure you have nothing important running, Your computer will freeze after you do it.
Last edited by manny6 on 2018-08-09 20:51, edited 2 times in total.
manny6

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-08-09 20:40

manny6 wrote:If you have a personal computer with Linux on it, try it

empty@hegel:~ $ sudo skill -KILL -u root
/bin/ksh: /usr/bin/sudo: not found
127|empty@hegel:~ $

:D

Anyway that command breaks the login session but doesn't completely freeze stuff up, a safe reboot is still possible.

Black screens after resuming are usually caused by non-free video drivers but I presume your ThinkPad is an Intel device?
lspci -knn | grep -iA2 'vga\|3d'

The Debian package page advises removal of xserver-xorg-video-intel if your hardware is newer than ~2008 but if you don't have it installed then you could try that instead of Xorg's builtin modesetting driver.
dbruce wrote:Ubuntu forums try to be like a coffee shop in Seattle. Debian forums strive for the charm and ambience of a skinhead bar in Bacau. We intend to keep it that way.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby manny6 » 2018-08-09 21:00

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
manny6 wrote:If you have a personal computer with Linux on it, try it

empty@hegel:~ $ sudo skill -KILL -u root
/bin/ksh: /usr/bin/sudo: not found
127|empty@hegel:~ $

:D

Anyway that command breaks the login session but doesn't completely freeze stuff up, a safe reboot is still possible.

Black screens after resuming are usually caused by non-free video drivers but I presume your ThinkPad is an Intel device?
lspci -knn | grep -iA2 'vga\|3d'

The Debian package page advises removal of xserver-xorg-video-intel if your hardware is newer than ~2008 but if you don't have it installed then you could try that instead of Xorg's builtin modesetting driver.

I tried it on a Dell computer, because the thinkpad has issues and i wanted to try it on a computer that was working well.

The Dell does have intel chip. The Thinkpad is amd.

Could be the non-free video drivers. With the amd after installing debian i was at very low resolution. Had to install non-free driver. The Dell i installed many months ago and don't remember.
manny6

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-08-09 21:01

manny6 wrote:amd

If you haven't installed the non-free firmware I will be rather annoyed...

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=47078
dbruce wrote:Ubuntu forums try to be like a coffee shop in Seattle. Debian forums strive for the charm and ambience of a skinhead bar in Bacau. We intend to keep it that way.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby manny6 » 2018-08-10 03:24

solution

This is from xubuntu wiki https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TrustyTahr/ReleaseNotes/Xubuntu Which is exactly what happening to me on Debian 9 xfce.

Xfce4 Power Manager does not restore screen power (1259339). You can try running xrandr, which has worked as a problem-free workaround for some users. Alternatively, to restore a working desktop go to TTY1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and restart lightdm with sudo service lightdm restart. NOTE: You will lose all unsaved work in progress! It appears that all instances of this bug so far are caused by suspending by closing the laptop lid - suspending from the logout dialog works to the best of our knowledge.

solution what looks that works from https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xfce4-power-manager/+bug/1259339

Lawrence Ong (lawrence-ong) wrote on 2014-07-30: #31

I have written an automated script to execute the "xrandr --auto" command after resume. It solves the blank-screen problem for me.

1. Create the following file named "00_screen" in /etc/pm/sleep.d/

=================
#!/bin/bash
case "$1" in
thaw|resume)
sleep 5
sudo -u <user> env DISPLAY=:0 /usr/bin/xrandr --auto
;;
*)
;;
esac
==================