Putty doesn't work with Easy RSA keys

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Putty doesn't work with Easy RSA keys

Postby banderas20 » 2018-08-16 20:00

Hello,

I have generated a public/private key pair with Easy RSA. I have placed the public key in ~/.ssh/authorised_keys and I'm trying to connect via SSH.
Then I copy the private key into my windows host and open up Putty. I go to Connection --> SSH --> Auth and Browse for the private key.
However, when I click OPEN, nothing happens. If I try "Putty Gen Generator" to convert the format, "Import key" says "Unrecognized Key Format".

¿Why is that so? ¿Isn't it a standard?

Thanks!
banderas20
 
Posts: 107
Joined: 2016-11-10 15:30

Re: Putty doesn't work with Easy RSA keys

Postby arzgi » 2018-08-17 06:49

banderas20 wrote:Hello,

I have generated a public/private key pair with Easy RSA. I have placed the public key in ~/.ssh/authorised_keys and I'm trying to connect via SSH.
Then I copy the private key into my windows host and open up Putty. I go to Connection --> SSH --> Auth and Browse for the private key.
However, when I click OPEN, nothing happens. If I try "Putty Gen Generator" to convert the format, "Import key" says "Unrecognized Key Format".

¿Why is that so? ¿Isn't it a standard?

Thanks!


Private key is private, it should never be moved anywhere. It's the puplic key, you transfer.
arzgi
 
Posts: 335
Joined: 2008-02-21 17:03
Location: Finland

Re: Putty doesn't work with Easy RSA keys

Postby banderas20 » 2018-08-17 07:47

arzgi wrote:
banderas20 wrote:Hello,

I have generated a public/private key pair with Easy RSA. I have placed the public key in ~/.ssh/authorised_keys and I'm trying to connect via SSH.
Then I copy the private key into my windows host and open up Putty. I go to Connection --> SSH --> Auth and Browse for the private key.
However, when I click OPEN, nothing happens. If I try "Putty Gen Generator" to convert the format, "Import key" says "Unrecognized Key Format".

¿Why is that so? ¿Isn't it a standard?

Thanks!


Private key is private, it should never be moved anywhere. It's the puplic key, you transfer.


Yes. I know that. Maybe haven't made myself clear.

Public key remains on the server (~/.ssh/authorised_keys)
Private key is on the client (Windows + Putty)
banderas20
 
Posts: 107
Joined: 2016-11-10 15:30

Re: Putty doesn't work with Easy RSA keys

Postby cronoik » 2018-08-17 12:05

banderas20 wrote:However, when I click OPEN, nothing happens. If I try "Putty Gen Generator" to convert the format, "Import key" says "Unrecognized Key Format".

Have you tried ssh-keygen or puttygen instead of the easy rsa keys? I assume that their key files have a different format which putty can't handle.
Have a nice day!
cronoik
 
Posts: 269
Joined: 2015-05-20 21:17

Re: Putty doesn't work with Easy RSA keys

Postby banderas20 » 2018-08-17 13:53

cronoik wrote:
banderas20 wrote:However, when I click OPEN, nothing happens. If I try "Putty Gen Generator" to convert the format, "Import key" says "Unrecognized Key Format".

Have you tried ssh-keygen or puttygen instead of the easy rsa keys? I assume that their key files have a different format which putty can't handle.


Not yet. And I wanted to avoid that not to have too many files. But as I have read through different websites, maybe it's something that has to do with the file format, as you point out. So I won't have any other option. :(

Thanks and regards!
banderas20
 
Posts: 107
Joined: 2016-11-10 15:30

Re: Putty doesn't work with Easy RSA keys

Postby debiman » 2018-08-18 07:53

from the one time i tried putty i remember that it doesn't recognize all key formats.
i think i even had to edit the key file's header manually.
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 2814
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: Putty doesn't work with Easy RSA keys

Postby banderas20 » 2018-08-18 17:46

debiman wrote:from the one time i tried putty i remember that it doesn't recognize all key formats.
i think i even had to edit the key file's header manually.


Do you remember the change?

Thanks!
banderas20
 
Posts: 107
Joined: 2016-11-10 15:30


Return to System configuration

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

fashionable