Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Secondary display not waking from suspend

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Dobeedoo

Secondary display not waking from suspend

#1 Post by Dobeedoo »

Hi,
recently my secondary display often fails to wake up from suspend. Going into 'Displays', it shows as state "Off" and refresh rate is the set to "60 Hz (NTSC)". Living in a PAL country, I wouldn't expect NTSC in any circumstances. I can't tell for sure how long this has been, but at least a couple of weeks. I guess it could have been introduced by an update, but then more people should've been affected. Googling and searching the forum didn't give me much clues (none).

I have not changed any configuration in ages (apart from apt upgrades), I've had my share of life, so at this point I just need things to work solid if possible.

Where should I start debugging? I guess the setting wouldn't be "Off" if it detected the monitor, so to me it sound local to the computer, right?

My setup is a Lenovo Y520 laptop, secondary monitor via HDMI running Debian Stretch

Any ideas?

Dobeedoo

Re: Secondary display not waking from suspend

#2 Post by Dobeedoo »

Don't know if it qualifies as solution, but looking in /var/log/messages revealed a lot of errors from the current Google-chrome, so stopped that, and guess what? Problems are now gone. For now anyway.

bw123

#3 Post by bw123 »

/var/log/messages revealed a lot of errors from the current Google-chrome, so stopped that,
stopped that? am I supposed to understand what 'stopped that' means?

stop being silly, you are using debian, be useful to your fellows.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

debiman

#4 Post by debiman »

^ i guess they meant "stop chrome"

i've very recently seen a similar thread where google chrome seems to interfer with graphics.
my guess is, DISabling chrome's hardware accel could help there.

and you know that Google Chrome is not debian software, right?
why are people using debian only to then install that? i just don't get it.
wouldn't something like mint or ubuntu be more suitable for this behemoth of unfree software?
Dobeedoo wrote:recently
obvious question: what happened just before that?

Dobeedoo

#5 Post by Dobeedoo »

bw123 wrote:
/var/log/messages revealed a lot of errors from the current Google-chrome, so stopped that,
stopped that? am I supposed to understand what 'stopped that' means?

stop being silly, you are using debian, be useful to your fellows.
Sure, English is not my native language, so please give me a brake. I know you understood I meant quit using Google-Chrome.

Dobeedoo

#6 Post by Dobeedoo »

debiman wrote:^ i guess they meant "stop chrome"

i've very recently seen a similar thread where google chrome seems to interfer with graphics.

wouldn't something like mint or ubuntu be more suitable for this behemoth of unfree software?
As I said, I don't know exactly how long this has been going on, I have just accepted the malfunction since it was not too severe. I think Google-chrome was updated, but have not double checked. If in fact so, then it would seem obvious that is the reason. What I don't get is why Google-chrome interferes with power management, if that is what is responsible for turning the screen off in settings.

Dobeedoo

#7 Post by Dobeedoo »

debiman wrote:^ i guess they meant "stop chrome"

I love Debian for all that it stands for, have used it on and off since '98. I ran chromium & Firefox to begin with, but playing html5 videos did not work (there were one more thing I don't recall), so to get what I needed, Google's counterpart was the way to go. I regret having to though.

debiman

#8 Post by debiman »

Dobeedoo wrote:As I said, I don't know exactly how long this has been going on, I have just accepted the malfunction since it was not too severe. I think Google-chrome was updated, but have not double checked. If in fact so, then it would seem obvious that is the reason. What I don't get is why Google-chrome interferes with power management, if that is what is responsible for turning the screen off in settings.
Dobeedoo wrote:I love Debian for all that it stands for, have used it on and off since '98. I ran chromium & Firefox to begin with, but playing html5 videos did not work (there were one more thing I don't recall), so to get what I needed, Google's counterpart was the way to go. I regret having to though.
a lot of yadda yadda, but you forgot to tell us how disabling chrome's hardware accel works for you.

also, can't hurt to try other browsers.
html5 video works, believe me, and if it doesn't for you then it's fixable.
certainly better to fix that than have your proprietary blob do unthinkable things to your computer behind your back.

debiman

#9 Post by debiman »

Dobeedoo wrote:English is not my native language, so please give me a brake.
forgive me for laughing, but this is just precious!
no offense!
:D