Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Lenovo IdeaPad 320 laptop doesn't wake up after suspend

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
dobiegillis

Lenovo IdeaPad 320 laptop doesn't wake up after suspend

#1 Post by dobiegillis »

I have a Lenovo IdeaPad 320 laptop with Debian testing/buster and Linux 4.18.5. When I close the lid and open it again, the screen is black, and I can't do anything. I can't even ctrl-alt-F3 to a vterm. At this point I need to restart the laptop every time I close the lid.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this? I have CONFIG_SUSPEND=y set in my kernel. I'm using the amdgpu video card drivers with kernel modesetting enabled.

bw123

Re: Lenovo IdeaPad 320 laptop doesn't wake up after suspend

#2 Post by bw123 »

From what I have learned, troubleshooting suspend problems sort of goes like this in no particular order:

websearch thoroughly every piece of hardware on the system with keywords linux & debian.
websearch the bios on the machine +linux+debian.
test different methods of suspend.
test under a minimal install, no X.
find out if resume works, but only video stays off. (probably do this first)
find out if another hardware besides video is hanging up.
try different available kernels.

It can be difficult. For that reason I'd probably want to do it on stable, or stable+backports. You are using testing with a custom kernel?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

dobiegillis

#3 Post by dobiegillis »

bw123 wrote:From what I have learned, troubleshooting suspend problems sort of goes like this in no particular order:

websearch thoroughly every piece of hardware on the system with keywords linux & debian.
websearch the bios on the machine +linux+debian.
test different methods of suspend.
test under a minimal install, no X.
find out if resume works, but only video stays off. (probably do this first)
find out if another hardware besides video is hanging up.
try different available kernels.

It can be difficult. For that reason I'd probably want to do it on stable, or stable+backports. You are using testing with a custom kernel?

Why does this crap tend to just work on Windows and Mac when in Linux there are a million variables and config and debugging steps like this? No one's gonna use Linux unless they're a complete nerd like me.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

If you're a complete nerd, you should already know the answer to that--the developers of the ACPI and UEFI in your machine don't give a hoot about Linux, and often employ janky workarounds for bugs in their code or in Windows just to get it to work. Sometimes there are acpi boot codes that can tell the machine to use Linux or Windows 2009 compatibility code, though.

Sometimes you luck out, though. I have a pretty new MSI GP63 8RD, MSI has never been known to care much about Linux and there's lots of complaints about Ubuntu on other models, yet s2ram and s2disk work great with the latest BIOS and 4.15 or greater kernels with my machine. Go figure.
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

No one's gonna use Linux unless they're a complete nerd like me.
Give me a break, this is just plain not true, to start with I am certainly not like you, and also I am not a nerd,... So you can't say no one, and the last time I looked at what the requirements for Debian are, What are the requirements one needs to meet to use Debian
===============================
https://www.debian.org/intro/why_debian
You wouldn't be alone in your choice A wide range of organizations and individuals use Debian. See our Who's Using Debian? page for a description of some high-profile sites which use Debian, and have chosen to submit a short description of how they use Debian and why.
There are many of us that use Debian, and Linux, for various reasons, those that are not "nerds", and I really don't like to use the term, because when the term and the stereotype first started, it was rather derogatory, to say the least,.. see : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd
Nerd stereotype[edit]
Because of the nerd stereotype, many smart people are often thought of as nerdy. This belief can be harmful, as it can cause high-school students to "switch off their lights" out of fear of being branded as a nerd,[18] and cause otherwise appealing people to be considered nerdy simply for their intellect. It was once thought that intellectuals were nerdy because they were envied. However, Paul Graham stated in his essay, "Why Nerds are Unpopular", that intellect is neutral, meaning that you are neither loved nor despised for it. He also states that it is only the correlation that makes smart teens automatically seem nerdy, and that a nerd is someone that is not socially adept enough. Additionally, he says that the reason why many smart kids are unpopular is that they "don't have time for the activities required for popularity."[19]
One really needs to or should, read the wiki article, in it's entire context.
===
To be blunt, and based on the more modern meaning and significance of "nerd", the OP is not a nerd at all, but one of those people, that believe "popularity" and the activities required for popularity. are most important. Microsoft tries to be the most popular, also in it'ts effort to maintain it's monopoly, or semi-monopoly.
Mac is not much better, on this one needs to do some searches, and look at some of the history of both Mac and Microsoft, but also the history of Unix, fortunately, way back when,... before AT&T sold it , fortunately a few very skilled people, managed to save and keep most of the original source code, and also lot's of documentation,
---snip--- parties in the late 1970s, leading to a variety of both academic and commercial Unix variants from vendors including University of California, Berkeley (BSD), Microsoft (Xenix), IBM (AIX), and Sun Microsystems (Solaris). In the early 1990s, AT&T sold its rights in Unix to Novell, which then sold its Unix business to the Santa Cruz Operation (SCO) in 1995.[4] The UNIX trademark passed to The Open Group, a neutral industry consortium, which allows the use of the mark for certified operating systems that comply with the Single UNIX Specification (SUS). As of 2014, the Unix version with the largest installed base is Apple's macOS.[citation needed]
----snip---- Note: A real nerd will actually read all of it, and understand these things ----end note----
Unix was originally meant to be a convenient platform for programmers developing software to be run on it and on other systems, rather than for non-programmers.[7][8] The system grew larger as the operating system started spreading in academic circles, as users added their own tools to the system and shared them with colleagues.[9]

At first, Unix was not designed to be portable[6] or multi-tasking.[10] Later, Unix gradually gained portability, multi-tasking and multi-user capabilities in a time-sharing configuration. Unix systems are characterized by various concepts: the use of plain text for storing data; a hierarchical file system; treating devices and certain types of inter-process communication (IPC) as files; and the use of a large number of software tools, small programs that can be strung together through a command-line interpreter using pipes, as opposed to using a single monolithic program that includes all of the same functionality. These concepts are collectively known as the "Unix philosophy". Brian Kernighan and Rob Pike summarize this in The Unix Programming Environment as "the idea that the power of a system comes more from the relationships among programs than from the programs themselves".[11]---snipped again----
No need to quote stevepusser , since this post follows his, but, I will add, I suspect, but can not prove it, much of this :
Why does this crap end to just work on Windows and Mac
In a nut shell, I suspect it is a rather deliberate attempt on the part of MS, and Mac, (Apple's macOS) to keep their semi monopolies,... Not only do they "not give a hoot", the last thing they want to happen is for it to become easy for people to just install another OS, that is opensource, and people can get for "free", I mean with out paying Microsoft or Apple's macOS something, greed and lot's of $$$$ is involved.
It actually used to be a whole lot easier to install another OS on most any hardware, until Microsoft jumped in, and invented the UEFI abomination, I may not be 100% accurate, on MS inventing it, but they certainly played a big role in pushing it, and making it to where the PC manufactures must use it, if they want to pre-install MS malware,...
Apology on my part for the long post, and it is off topic, in relation to the OP's first post, but then the OP their self, effectively derailed the the topic with this statement:
dobiegillis>>Why does this crap tend to just work on Windows and Mac when in Linux there are a million variables and config and debugging steps like this? No one's gonna use Linux unless they're a complete nerd like me.
You are not a complete nerd, based on the more modern definition, please don't consider us to be like you, there are many Linux users that are not nerds, but still are intelligent enough to know what is the best OS for their needs, A skilled system admin, which you are NOT, might be a nerd as well, but the users of the system do not need to be nerds, and usually aren't, they are just "end users" , heck I know secretaries that are doing all of the offices work, and they don't even know what OS the system is, all they know is they can perform the tasks required , and they can log into Face Book when it is break time, and that is all they care about. They certainly are not nerds.