Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

messed up with new graphics card

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
aquar

messed up with new graphics card

#1 Post by aquar »

Hello. I bought the nvidia quadro K420 graphics card,i installed it on my motherboard. When I opened Debian, it had a screen resolution 800x600. I purged everything had to do with nvidia, and I run from a cd the driver for linux the company PNY gives with this graphics card. It is a .run file,in the terminal it asked me to let it do everything automatic, I pressed ok, it made an nvidia-Xorg config. file and I rebooted the pc,which is half disk debian 9 and half disk windows7. When it passed grub it froze at the line

[ OK ] Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes.

I pressed Alt-F2 entered at the terminal mode,purged again everything had to do with nvidia, removed the nvidia-Xorg config. and rebooted. From now on after grub, it stucks again at the "OK Started Update UTMP...." line but after few seconds a white screen with a sad PC face appears with a message that something gone wrong and the system cannot recover, and it promotes me to log off. I don't know what is going on, and how to search it.

Can you help me with that problem.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 64-bit, Windows 7
Intel Core i7 CPU 860 2.80GHz ‖ RAM 15,7 MiB ‖ Gigabyte P55-US3L
GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2

bw123

Re: messed up with new graphics card

#2 Post by bw123 »

...and I run from a cd the driver for linux the company PNY gives with this graphics card.
no, no, no, no no... this ain't windows don't do this.

search the forum
resigned by AI ChatGPT

aquar

#3 Post by aquar »

The CD has the drivers for linux, I also did what this page https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers says. I am 5 straight hours on the PC trying to understand where is the problem and how to fix it. Something was happening when I was creating the xconfig. file. I searched the Internet for same problems, I followed their sollutions, most of them said to edit the xconfig. file, to add some lines, they didn't worked on my problem. Now the system won't start, not even in the terminal mode. I am one step before format. I only care if I miss any file during the backup file transfer.
search the forum
I don't know where else to search, may you give me more information?
GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

The .run file will not work unless you have installed the compilers and kernel headers to build the drivers. No doubt it threw plenty of errors about this in the terminal, but some people don't pay attention to those.

You also need to install the same packages to build Debian's version of the same driver in the wiki directions--NOT THE .run version!:

Install module-assistant.

As root or with sudo, run:

Code: Select all

m-a prepare
MX Linux packager and developer

aquar

#5 Post by aquar »

I can't enter in the tty. In the GRUB menu in the advanced options for Debian I have two recovery modes (4.9.0-8-amd64 and 4.9.0-7-amd64)

The 4.9.0-8 gives me this message

and the 4.9.0-8 gives me an option to login as root from the loading screen without pressing Alt+F2

EDIT
i used the command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge xserver-xorg-video-intel
entered in debian, it gives me black screen /out of range Mhz. Alt+F2 works and I will try again to do, something.
GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

That hideously oversized screenshot is telling you to blacklist the nouveau module, have you done that? Details are on the wiki page...

The xorg configuration file only needs to be about 4 lines long and is also on the wiki page.
deadbang

aquar

#7 Post by aquar »

First I put back my old graphics card, a nvidia geforce gt710, which is supported. Then I entered in the terminal mode, I purged the nvidia drivers, and followed the steps in the wiki to install the nvidia driver. After the end, I rebooted, and after the first checks, the screen turns white with a sad face, and a text saying, something's wrong and the system cant overcome, log off.

GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2

bw123

#8 Post by bw123 »

I purged the nvidia drivers, and followed the steps in the wiki to install the nvidia driver.
Which steps did you follow? The wiki has steps for several different hardware and os configuration. You should post the commands you ran and the output and people will help.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by CwF »

Unless there is some specific reason to run nvidia drivers why not run the basic nouveau drivers? When I swap cards I do no config, it just works.

aquar

#10 Post by aquar »

No worries after 10hours of searching I found the solution.
1) Open Windows. Download, Debian, MXlinux and universal usb installer
2) Make a live usb with mxlinux and a live usb with debian
3) Restart change boot priority from BIOS, enter the usb with mxlinux first and press F10
4) In the boot screen type "Live"
5) Copy all your data from the debian partition to another external or internal device. Reboot and place debian usb
6) I didn't see if the debian netinst had a live session, so I installed graphical
7) In the beggining the guide will have to search for a cd, but you have usb, so accept your fate that you are a noob, and you will have to reuse debian when this traumatic expirience look like an old memory.
8) Reboot and use the MX Linux or whatever distro you prefer, and install it over debian partition.

In 2 hours I returned to my routine. So if you are a person with low knowledge about how this system works, Format is the only way .
Last edited by aquar on 2018-09-03 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
GeForce GT 710/PCIe/SSE2

Head_on_a_Stick

#11 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

aquar wrote:I purged the nvidia drivers, and followed the steps in the wiki to install the nvidia driver. After the end, I rebooted, and after the first checks, the screen turns white with a sad face, and a text saying, something's wrong and the system cant overcome, log off.
Yeah, you must have done it wrong, perhaps if you explicitly list *exactly* what you did rather than offer a vague summary then we could spot where you messed up.
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by CwF »

aquar wrote: So if you are a person with low knowledge about how this system works, Format is the only way .
Or you could just use stable nouveau drivers and not worry about it.

Wheelerof4te

#13 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Maybe you could have used nvidia driver from backports. Oh, well, you've found your home at MX Linux. There's a reason Steve and Co. made it for Debian newbies.

stevepusser

#14 Post by stevepusser »

Yeah, but basically the MX Nvidia installer is just a script that follows the Debian wiki directions.

You say you followed the wiki directions at first. What did nvidia-detect report when you ran that first of all per the directions?
MX Linux packager and developer

bw123

#15 Post by bw123 »

aquar wrote: ...
In 2 hours I returned to my routine. So if you are a person with low knowledge about how this system works, Format is the only way .
I'd say most people that are new to linux reinstall at least once. I know I had to do it several times. Even now I prefer a clean install instead of upgrades between releases. I actually enjoy using the installer every couple years, to see what's new in it.

I usually do a full install with a desktop environment, and a small window manager install, and on both I later add things to, or take away from and it's easy to really bork the system, so I sometimes reinstall a few times. It's not a huge problem for me to spend the time setting things up exactly the way I want. Sometimes there are problems that take weeks to solve. I still have a list with several issues that I have never solved on stretch.

I know some people expect a perfect setup with minimal effort from linux, but that's just not realistic...
resigned by AI ChatGPT