I can't "check" repositories and update sources

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

I can't "check" repositories and update sources

Postby tiotrom » 2018-09-15 15:29

So I go to Software and Updates. Debian Software: here I have 3 options, Main, DFSG, and non-DFSG. I can't mark any of them. If I click one it asks for admin password but nothing happens afterwards. When i close the Software and Updates and click "reload" as it asks, then it reloads the sources and it gets stuck at "refreshing software cache". In the same Software and Updates section, under Updates I can't select any updates from there, like security updates of recommended updates. I am using Debian testing, latest version.
tiotrom

Re: I can't "check" repositories and update sources

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-09-15 15:36

What do you have under "Other software" tab? IIRC, those three checkboxes work only for current stable version. BTW, I use SId and those checkboxes are empty.

I strongly urge you to use apt instead of Synaptic/Software, especially on Testing.
Wheelerof4te

Postby tiotrom » 2018-09-15 15:43

Oh I see I didn't know that. Here's what I have to "Other Sources" Image
tiotrom

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-09-15 15:52

Why does it have Ubuntu repos checked, ? why are those even there ?
Is this really Debian ?
Maybe read this :
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Don't make a FrankenDebian

Debian Stable should not be combined with other releases. If you're trying to install software that isn't available in the current Debian Stable release, it's not a good idea to add repositories for other Debian releases. The problems might not happen right away, but the next time you install updates.

The reason things can break is because the software packaged for one Debian release is built to be compatible with the rest of the software for that release. For example, installing packages from buster on a stretch system could also install newer versions of core libraries including libc6. This results in a system that is not testing or stable but a broken mix of the two.

Repositories that can create a FrankenDebian if used with Debian Stable:

Debian testing release (currently buster)
Debian unstable release (also known as sid)
Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!
Ubuntu PPAs
GarryRicketson

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-09-15 15:54

PPAs are only for Ubuntu, don't ever use those.
You also have one duplicate list. Keep the deb-debian one, and deactivate ftp.us for buster main.
Wheelerof4te

Postby tiotrom » 2018-09-15 15:58

GarryRicketson wrote:Why does it have Ubuntu repos checked, ? why are those even there ?
Is this really Debian ?
Maybe read this :
https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
Don't make a FrankenDebian

Debian Stable should not be combined with other releases. If you're trying to install software that isn't available in the current Debian Stable release, it's not a good idea to add repositories for other Debian releases. The problems might not happen right away, but the next time you install updates.

The reason things can break is because the software packaged for one Debian release is built to be compatible with the rest of the software for that release. For example, installing packages from buster on a stretch system could also install newer versions of core libraries including libc6. This results in a system that is not testing or stable but a broken mix of the two.

Repositories that can create a FrankenDebian if used with Debian Stable:

Debian testing release (currently buster)
Debian unstable release (also known as sid)
Ubuntu, Mint or other derivative repositories are not compatible with Debian!
Ubuntu PPAs

Look, I understand. I am trying to migrate from Ubuntu to Debian because I love what Debian stands for. However Debian lacks some open source software that I truly need because I make documentaries and books. I may only need like 2-3 ppas and I try to avoid that as much as possible. They didn't work anyway so I will delete them - I am in "testing" mode to see if I can migrate from ubuntu. So far so great. Love Debian.
tiotrom

Postby tiotrom » 2018-09-15 16:00

Wheelerof4te wrote:PPAs are only for Ubuntu, don't ever use those.
You also have one duplicate list. Keep the deb-debian one, and deactivate ftp.us for buster main.

Done. But it gets stuck here all the time Image
tiotrom

Postby arzgi » 2018-09-15 16:12

Well, I don't know how to say this nicely, but I don't see other way than reinstall. And you just can't install Ubuntu ppas to Debian, any. Choose one or other, you can not have both.
arzgi

Postby GarryRicketson » 2018-09-15 16:14

Ok, well unfortunately, Debian does not work that way. It is possible sometimes to download the source code for a program, and compile it for Debian,...
There is a correct way, the Debian way, it is explained in the Debian documentation.
We have a topic dedicated to the results and consequences of trying to mix / match Ubuntu and other distros, you may find it interesting.
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=114130

If you want to use Debian, and Ubuntu , then one way would be to setup a dual boot system, Install Debian to 1 partition, keep it just Debian, install Ubuntu to another partition, keep it as Ubuntu, boot with which ever one you need at that time.
Or a better solution, install Debian, and also install QEMU , then install the Ubuntu on a VM, if and when you need to use a ubuntu program, start the VM, and you have Ubuntu , with out ever needing to reboot, or exit your Debian system.
========== edit ====
I may only need like 2-3 ppas and I try to avoid that as much as possible.

All it takes is just 1 , and it can wreck the system, sometimes they appear to work ok for awhile, but sooner or later it turns into a train wreck. Don't feel bad, I did the same thing years ago, when I first started using Debian, but there was one software package I liked, and it was not available in the Debian repos, I knew it was in the Ubuntu repos, so I added that to my sources, and installed it,... thought I was really smart,... a couple of weeks later, "Oh no something went wrong",... and some research showed me why that package was not in the Debian repos, (bug), and I learned a lesson. Re-installed Debian, and also had Xubuntu on another partition, as dual boot. Later I found using VM's to be more convenient.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2018-09-15 16:23, edited 1 time in total.
GarryRicketson

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-09-15 16:16

arzgi wrote:you just can't install Ubuntu ppas to Debian

There is a way, actually:

https://wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA

Or search for stevepusser's OBS packaging HowTo on these boards.
dbruce wrote:Ubuntu forums try to be like a coffee shop in Seattle. Debian forums strive for the charm and ambience of a skinhead bar in Bacau. We intend to keep it that way.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby arzgi » 2018-09-15 16:22

Thanks HoS and GarryRicketson, there are ways. But if some one has just borked his/her system, I think it is good time to learn some thumb rules, that it will not happen again.
arzgi

Postby bw123 » 2018-09-15 16:24

tiotrom wrote:...

Look, I understand. I am trying to migrate from Ubuntu to Debian because I love what Debian stands for. However Debian lacks some open source software that I truly need because I make documentaries and books.

Debian has a really huge amount of open source software in the main repo, and also a ton of stuff in contrib and non-free. What software do you find lacking? Some things can temporarily be missing from testing, for different reasons.

If you have already mixed stuff from ppa or different releases, I agree that starting fresh and avoiding that in the future will probably make your migration a lot easier.
bw123

Postby stevepusser » 2018-09-15 17:07

Why do you still have the Debian CDROM enabled? You don't need that after installation, so I bet that's at the root of your issue, especially if you don't have it available to the system.

We might have some of that PPA software rebuilt already on a Debian base for MX 17. Polo file manager or aptik-gtk, for example:

https://repology.org/metapackage/polo/versions
https://repology.org/metapackage/aptik-gtk/versions
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, tlp-ui, wine-staging 3.21, Pale Moon 28.2.2, Mesa 18.2.6, Midori 7.0
stevepusser

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-09-15 17:12

Maybe those software projects you use have .debs available on their web pages? Usually, projects that support Linux have .deb and .rpm packages for installation.
Example, Viber has a .deb which supports even Jessie.

When one transits from Ubuntu to Debian, it's better to start with Stable. Look at it like just another Ubuntu LTS version, but "cleaner".
Wheelerof4te

Postby tiotrom » 2018-09-15 18:14

Thank you so much for all the help. That's also something that i wanted to test for debian: the support. Ubuntu has that great "asskubuntu" website that is super helpful, but I see Debian has great support too.

So, from what I understand:
1. never add ppas to Debian! Got that, I won't. I see there is a way to that though https://wiki.debian.org/CreatePackageFromPPA as suggested here in the replies. Which is encouraging in case you ever need that.
2. deb works as well on Ubuntu as it does on Debian. which is great.
3. use stable Debian: here I am unsure since I tried the stable one and I've see that it has super old software and I've heard Debian testing is pretty stable
4. Seems a bit difficult to fix Debian when you mess it up. At least that's what I get. I am using Ubuntu for the past 6 years and I didn't reinstall it for 3 years now. Only updated and upgraded it. Works really good. So I am afraid that if I mess something on Debian the only option is to reinstall. I am not a regular user, I have lots of files, projects, and apps installed, so reinstall it is not a pleasant experience. I want to avoid that as much as possible.

I was asked what software I don't find in Debian's repos. Two of them that come to my mind are PDF Mod and PDF Shuffle. They allow me to edit my PDF books.

"Why do you still have the Debian CDROM enabled?" - I don't know....I didn't do anything to add that so it was there. Or at least no something that I remember....

I am going to reinstall Debian Testing again and take all of those suggestions into account. By the way, sorry if this is off topic, but when I install Debian I get an error saying my user is not in the "sudoers" and I have to do this https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/258865 to make it work. But am I doing anything wrong when installing Debian? I can make a new thread for this if you suggest that.

Thank you!
tiotrom

Next

Return to System configuration