Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wayland removal keeping Gnome

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
sandrohnakaguma

Wayland removal keeping Gnome

#1 Post by sandrohnakaguma »

Is it possible (how?) to remove Gnome Wayland and keeping only Gnome in Debian 9.5 without causing further problems? Since I did an autoremove, wayland caused many problems for me. Some are: Icons disappeared only for Wayland, Eclipse started to flicker (black) on mouse move over the editor, Synaptic stopped working, etc. Thanks in advance. Sorry if this is was answered before. As far as I could check, I couldn't find anything related to my question, sorry.

Sandro H. Nakaguma

arzgi

Re: Wayland removal keeping Gnome

#2 Post by arzgi »

Welcome to the forums!

There are many problems, which have no single silver bullet to solve.

My suggestion, open terminal, and run:

Code: Select all

aptitude search wayland | grep ^i
so you can see installed wayland packages. Tested it, and even I hame some, although I have XFCE.

Then, to each installed packet:

Code: Select all

aptitude why [packet]
to see if it cannot be removed. Note, aptitude will not say 'you can safely remove this package', that is your decision. But if removing a package would remove half of gnome, perphas it should be left.

Bit tedious, but I think previous step is needed that you don't brick your system.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Wayland removal keeping Gnome

#3 Post by None1975 »

Hello, sandrohnakaguma. In my minimal Debian 9 system, with minimal packages (only wm, no DE and DM), i have one package-ibus-wayland/stable 1.5.14-3 amd64. I think that removing Wayland packages may be a big challenge. I think that doing so will ruin your Debian installation.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github