Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cannot install Viber

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Grishan Pradhan

Cannot install Viber

#1 Post by Grishan Pradhan »

after i run the command sudo dpkg -i /myfilepath/viber.deb , it asks for password and after i enter it I get a message: "Username is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported."
How do I fix this?

fred44nl

Re: Cannot install Viber

#2 Post by fred44nl »

open Terminal and give the command "su" (without quotes)
you will be asked to enter the root password.
next you give the command "usermod -aG sudo yourname" (without quotes)
finally you do a reboot.
Debian 10 - Buster on Compulab Fitlet2
Debian 12 - Bookworm on Acer Spin 1

Grishan Pradhan

#3 Post by Grishan Pradhan »

It did helped to remove that message(Thak You for that) but now I get the following error:
"Selecting previously unselected package viber.
(Reading database ... 185004 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack /home/grishan/viber.deb ...
Unpacking viber (7.0.0.1035) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of viber:

viber depends on libssl1.0.0; however:
Package libssl1.0.0 is not installed.
viber depends on libcurl3; however:
Package libcurl3 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package viber (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-9) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.23-1) ...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.60) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.15-1) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
viber"

What to do now?

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

Have you read this ? https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
It is something that should be read before starting to install random software from random websites.

Grishan Pradhan

#5 Post by Grishan Pradhan »

GarryRicketson wrote:Have you read this ? https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian
It is something that should be read before starting to install random software from random websites.
THANKS MATE
But I am not downloading Viber form random website. I am downloading it from its official website and I don't think Viber is a random software.

fred44nl

#6 Post by fred44nl »

the thing is, that Viber is not part of any Debian repository.
so, you have to download a deb-file and install it.
this could break your system, does not have to, but it could.
may not now, may be later.
so, be carefull :)

Grishan Pradhan

#7 Post by Grishan Pradhan »

fred44nl wrote:the thing is, that Viber is not part of any Debian repository.
I am trying to install from the deb package.But I am getting that error message mention above :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

fred44nl

#8 Post by fred44nl »

how about " sudo apt-get install libssl"
and "sudo apt-get install libcurl3"

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You can use gdebi to install .debs, that will install dependencies automatically.

Or

Code: Select all

# apt-get install -f
, which may be quicker than installing several dependencies manually.
deadbang

Dai_trying

#10 Post by Dai_trying »

I use apt to install deb files as it can now bring in the dependencies with it, a typical command would be

Code: Select all

apt install ./random_package.deb
(as root or with sudo) just remember to put ./ before the deb-file name.

debiman

#11 Post by debiman »

Grishan Pradhan wrote:
I am trying to install from the deb package.But I am getting that error message mention above :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
fred's explanataion might have been misunderstood.
meaning you use a deb package does not necessarily mean it fits your current system.
ubuntu and many other distros also use apt and dpkg.
my guess is, viber relies on versions of libraries that are not available on debian stable!
you now have to uninstall viber & fix the mess.

Grishan Pradhan

#12 Post by Grishan Pradhan »

debiman wrote:
Grishan Pradhan wrote:
meaning you use a deb package does not necessarily mean it fits your current system.
my guess is, viber relies on versions of libraries that are not available on debian stable!

GOT IT!!!
Thank You debiman

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

debiman wrote:
Grishan Pradhan wrote:
Even debs from the Debian repo will give you similar errors if you use "dpkg -i" and don't have the dependencies installed. That's just how it works with dpkg, and there are probably hundreds of beginner's posts here that ask about exactly the same problem. The answer has always been gdebi, "apt-get install -f", or now apt, too.
MX Linux packager and developer

GarryRicketson

#14 Post by GarryRicketson »

And that is why I suggested reading the Wiki, "don't Break Debian"
THANKS MATE
But I am not downloading Viber from random website. I am downloading it from its official website and I don't think Viber is a random software.
Your welcome, What I meant is anything that is not from the Debian Repositories, random websites, and software is risky to use, but in some cases can be used safely, they key being to read the documentation, and understand fully what needs to be done to make it usable on Debian.
I had never heard of Viber until now, so can't say much, do they not offer any support for their packages, ? Seems like that would be the place to be asking about installing it, if you downloaded the .deb file from them, you should let them know , it does not install to Debian as expected.
==== edited ======
I was doing some searches , useing the key words "What is Viber ? ",....and stumbled on to this in some of the results,..
https://haydenjames.io/i-refuse-to-sign ... heres-why/

Grishan Pradhan

#15 Post by Grishan Pradhan »

GarryRicketson wrote:And that is why I suggested reading the Wiki, "don't Break Debian"
THANKS MATE
But I am not downloading Viber from random website. I am downloading it from its official website and I don't think Viber is a random software.
Your welcome, What I meant is anything that is not from the Debian Repositories, random websites, and software is risky to use, but in some cases can be used safely, they key being to read the documentation, and understand fully what needs to be done to make it usable on Debian.
I had never heard of Viber until now, so can't say much, do they not offer any support for their packages, ? Seems like that would be the place to be asking about installing it, if you downloaded the .deb file from them, you should let them know , it does not install to Debian as expected.
==== edited ======
I was doing some searches , useing the key words "What is Viber ? ",....and stumbled on to this in some of the results,..
https://haydenjames.io/i-refuse-to-sign ... heres-why/
Actually Viber is a messenger. Before having Debian installed on my system , I used Lubuntu and I had Viber installed in it and it is one of the software I tend to use frequntly. I installed Debian just a few days ago and I am new to it plus I wanted to install Viber in it but after reading all of your reply I think it is better not to install.

GarryRicketson

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

I was kind of surprised when I saw that one result, overall it sounded pretty popular but
I agree, I think it would be best for you to use that separate, on your cell phone, especially if it is necessary or essential for some business, or personal contacts.
Not everything that comes up in search results is true though, but it defiantly looks like
something to research carefully , first.
I use Virtual Machines for a lot of stuff, other OS's , and even for the same OS, but when I am not sure about the software, or program. That way if there is any problems, the VM might even crash, and need to be rebuilt, but my main system is still intact.
That might be a good option for you , set up a VM and install it to a OS on the VM, you could even use windows on the VM, or if Viber worked well on Ubuntu, use Ubuntu on the VM, and install viber. There is a learning curve involved in setting up a VM , but it is not to hard.
Also, later, take your time and get more familiar with Debian, and you probably can install it , and safely, in a way that it is easy to remove if need be, etc. It is a very common mistake that new Debian users make, to immediately start installing all sorts of programs, software that they used on the other OS (their previous one) or other distro (distribution).
It works out better when they take the time to get a better understanding of Debian first.

debiman

#17 Post by debiman »

stevepusser wrote:Even debs from the Debian repo will give you similar errors if you use "dpkg -i" and don't have the dependencies installed.
oh!
so i was wrong.
i stand corrected.

captaink

#18 Post by captaink »

If you still wanna install viber, you can install it using flatpak, which may be probably safer for your debian system.
https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.viber.Viber
I use it too & installs/works fine from there.

According to the https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian page (which was wisely posted previously), flatpak & snap are considered a safer way to install applications not found in Debian Stable.

Please note: Viber .deb is a bit unmaintained, even using the latest ubuntu LTS (18.04) you encounter problems. (Fyi, the .deb file on viber website is for Ubuntu & works with previous LTS, 16.04). So I think you shouldn't use this package with Debian.