Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

"gave up waiting for suspend/resume device" still exists

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
travis82

"gave up waiting for suspend/resume device" still exists

#1 Post by travis82 »

Hi
I'm using debian testing. I occasionally formatted my swap partition using Slackware installer and as expected I got boot delay and "gave up waiting for suspend/resume device" message in Debian. According many recommendation on the web, I replaced swap UUID with it's new UUID in fstab, added RESUME=none to /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and updated initramfs but I still notice boot delay and that annoying message. Is there any further step that I should do?

Sorry for my english

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: "gave up waiting for suspend/resume device" still exists

#2 Post by p.H »

Did you check in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/ ?

travis82

#3 Post by travis82 »

p.H wrote:Did you check in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/ ?
yes, there is nothing in that folder.

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

travis82 wrote:Hi
I'm using debian testing. I occasionally formatted my swap partition using Slackware installer and as expected I got boot delay and "gave up waiting for suspend/resume device" message in Debian. According many recommendation on the web, I replaced swap UUID with it's new UUID in fstab, added RESUME=none to /etc/initramfs-tools/initramfs.conf and updated initramfs but I still notice boot delay and that annoying message. Is there any further step that I should do?

Sorry for my english
Your English is fine, never need to apologize. Maybe if you showed the forum instead of telling, someone can help you figure it out? What command did you use to build initramfs? Maybe one of these might have a clue?

Code: Select all

$ lsblk
$ apt policy initramfs-tools
$ cat /proc/cmdline
mkswap can also Specify the UUID to use ( man mkswap) so maybe try recreate the swap part it is looking for? Also be sure there is no typo in /etc/fstab for anything, recheck all entry in fstab.

Testing users should check bug reports for sure... https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting
resigned by AI ChatGPT

travis82

#5 Post by travis82 »

Thank you for your kind attention.
I used this instruction: https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 00866.html
However, I noticed that UUID of swap partition is different in blkid and cmdline

here is the output of blkid

/dev/sda5: UUID="67a0c2aa-e824-4934-9f08-41d5de838fe2" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="93e993e9-05"
and here is the output of cat /proc/cmdline

BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.18.0-1-amd64 root=UUID=ef6f45fd-303a-4456-afe2-d5c76a53ac05 ro quiet resume=UUID=3167f8e8-e1dd-4262-92a2-be7bb0f02ebb
Obviously resume UUID in cmdline is not correct. is it enough to edit this file and put correct UUID in there?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

I did not suggest to check for a resume= parameter in the kernel command line because AFAIK Debian does not set it by default.

You cannot edit /proc/cmdline. As anything in /proc, it is not a regular file but an interface to the kernel. /proc/cmdline is read-only and contains the command line which was used to boot the kernel. If using GRUB as the boot loader, the kernel command line comes from the "linux" command of the selected menu entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg. You should not edit this file either because it is built by update-grub which gets the kernel command line from /etc/default/grub. This is the file you should check and edit.

travis82

#7 Post by travis82 »

p.H wrote:I did not suggest to check for a resume= parameter in the kernel command line because AFAIK Debian does not set it by default.

You cannot edit /proc/cmdline. As anything in /proc, it is not a regular file but an interface to the kernel. /proc/cmdline is read-only and contains the command line which was used to boot the kernel. If using GRUB as the boot loader, the kernel command line comes from the "linux" command of the selected menu entry in /boot/grub/grub.cfg. You should not edit this file either because it is built by update-grub which gets the kernel command line from /etc/default/grub. This is the file you should check and edit.
Thank you very much. I edited /etc/default/grub and remove "resume" parameter. the problem solved.

arzgi

#8 Post by arzgi »

That's great! Can you please edit your first post in the thread, and add [SOLVED] to the front of the header.