Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Dazed and confused, but trying to continue

#1 Post by CwF »

To start at the end of my thinking; is there mechanism for excluding recommends according to machine type?

Yes, super general question! I just wondered if laptop-detect for example is useful for desktops to flag the machine does not have things, as well as my assumed function to tell things it does have things. It appears that package doesn't help the system past initial setup. So, are there any other packages I haven't found that help control hardware related recommends?

So, the back story, now in the middle is this wonderfully meaningful error message:

Code: Select all

kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 30 on CPU 0.
kernel: Do you have a strange power saving mode enabled?
kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
It doesn't really show up if you stay in a DE GUI, but it will interrupt you every few minutes in a VT.

This is a very old issue. The reason can be 0,20,30,?. Googling will give thousands of irrelevant results. I think it can come from many sources.

The beginning of the story is my last upgrade in late August of my 'base' file I use for vm's. On one of the vm versions above I added midori. I like it and it will hopefully update to 'very useful' in a few months. Allowing the recommends, through webkit it brings in a few extras that lead to this error.

Pulling libmm-glib0, which takes geoclue-2.0 and its recommends with it, eliminated the error. I suppose it's doing some hardware scan for sensors I don't have, don't know?

So I'm wondering if there is a 'Not_smartphone_tablet_laptop-detect' package? Is this a udev detection issue? Or are developers simply gearing things to find the sensors without any consideration or consequence for not finding them?