Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] ssd: realtine, noatime ?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
linuxsat

[Solved] ssd: realtine, noatime ?

#1 Post by linuxsat »

Hello,

I'm on a Stretch 9.2 on a Dell laptop 5480 wich has a ssd (256Go).

I'm a bit puzzled by the explanations I found on the net about the safe config for a ssd (perhaps because some
are outdated?).

In particular I read that the option "realtime" is now used by default by the kernel and then
that the option "noatime" is not really necessary in /etc/fstab is that true?

In addition none of these option are in my fstab file, so should I change it?
Last edited by linuxsat on 2018-10-24 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ssd: realtine, noatime ?

#2 Post by p.H »

linuxsat wrote:In particular I read that the option "realtime" is now used by default by the kernel
It is not "realtime" but "relatime" (short for "relative access time"). It means that the access time is updated (i.e.) written only once after a write or once a day, whichever happens first. Unlike noatime, it allows to know whether a file has been read after the last write, while still reducing writes. It has been the default for ages.
linuxsat wrote:and then that the option "noatime" is not really necessary in /etc/fstab is that true?
Quite, unless you really want to minimize writes. But noatime may break a few programs which rely on file access time. Modern SSDs should be able to bear the extra writes caused by relatime.
linuxsat wrote:In addition none of these option are in my fstab file, so should I change it?
relatime is the default, so if this is what you want you do not have to set it in fstab. If you want noatime, you can set it in fstab or in the filesystem default mount options (see tune2fs manpage for an ext4 filesystem).

linuxsat

Re: ssd: realtine, noatime ?

#3 Post by linuxsat »

Many thanks p.H.
sorry for the misspell of "relatime", and thanks for your explanation.
I mark the subject to Solved.