After update kernel doesn't finish boot/login

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

After update kernel doesn't finish boot/login

Postby patrick013 » 2018-10-27 17:26

After updating last night I have to use an older kernel
to boot. Am running openbox on Debian 10 with intel
driver. This might be solved by modesetting but still
needs a fix.

I login in console and .bashrc contains the following :

[[ $(tty) = "/dev/tty1" ]] && exec startx &> $HOME/startx.txt

The above has been working for years.

My startx.txt log contains this -

xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)
pkexec version 0.105
(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch

The new kernel won't continue the boot, it is kernel
4.18.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.18.6-1 (2018-09-06) x86_64

The older kernel will finish the boot, it is kernel
4.16.0-2-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.12-1 (2018-05-27) x86_64

Also init (1.54) to 1.55 upgrade was made last night.


Any help ? or just FYI.
Last edited by patrick013 on 2018-11-13 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
patrick013
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 2013-02-07 19:08

Re: After update kernel doesn't finish boot

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-10-27 17:38

patrick013 wrote:Am running openbox on Debian 10 with intel
driver. This might be solved by modesetting

Firstly, there is no "Debian 10" (but thanks for testing!).

Secondly, have you tried removing xserver-xorg-video-intel?

I don't run Debian testing but my OpenBSD -current box lost the setuid bit on the Xorg binary yesterday to plug the X hole, perhaps you are experiencing this.

Can you get to a desktop by using a display manager?
dbruce wrote:Ubuntu forums try to be like a coffee shop in Seattle. Debian forums strive for the charm and ambience of a skinhead bar in Bacau. We intend to keep it that way.
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 8322
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: After update kernel doesn't finish boot

Postby patrick013 » 2018-10-27 17:46

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
patrick013 wrote:Am running openbox on Debian 10 with intel
driver. This might be solved by modesetting

Firstly, there is no "Debian 10" (but thanks for testing!).

Secondly, have you tried removing xserver-xorg-video-intel?

I don't run Debian testing but my OpenBSD -current box lost the setuid bit on the Xorg binary yesterday to plug the X hole, perhaps you are experiencing this.

Can you get to a desktop by using a display manager?


I can boot OK using the 4.16 kernel but not the 4.18 kernel as of
last night. I want to use intel as the uxa AccelMethod works well
on my machine. So the machine is fully operational today.

Thanks for the reply.
patrick013
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 2013-02-07 19:08

Re: After update kernel doesn't finish boot

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-10-27 18:11

patrick013 wrote:I want to use intel as the uxa AccelMethod works well

UXA is ancient, SNA offers much better performance and Glamor (as used by the modesetting driver) should outperform UXA also.
dbruce wrote:Ubuntu forums try to be like a coffee shop in Seattle. Debian forums strive for the charm and ambience of a skinhead bar in Bacau. We intend to keep it that way.
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 8322
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: After update kernel doesn't finish boot

Postby bw123 » 2018-10-27 21:49

If you made it far enough to startx, then didn't the kernel finish booting? I'd think that's a good clue that one kernel can startx but another can't, but it's not a bootup problem, probably intel driver like HoaS said. Easy enought to test.

There are some files created when booting that belong to root:video and so I always add users to 'video' group. This hasn't always been necessary, but I always do it anyway. You could try that. When I use a display manager, I add that dm to the video group also.

Code: Select all
/dev/dri$ ls -l
total 0
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226,   0 Oct 25 12:48 card0
crw-rw----  1 root video 226,  64 Oct 25 12:48 controlD64
crw-rw----+ 1 root video 226, 128 Oct 25 12:48 renderD128


Looking up the error "xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)" might help figure it out also. I run rootless X on stretch with intel graphics and haven't had one problem using modesetting driver. I will try intel driver next boot and see what happens, thanks. I have a 4.18 bpo kernel so that too will get tested.

Code: Select all
$ ls -l /usr/bin/startx
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 5517 Oct 18  2015 /usr/bin/startx
$ ls -l /usr/bin/xinit
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 19136 Oct 18  2015 /usr/bin/xinit
$ ls -l /usr/bin/X
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4 Oct 25 05:19 /usr/bin/X -> Xorg
$ ls -l /usr/bin/Xorg
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 274 Oct 25 05:19 /usr/bin/Xorg
$ apt policy xserver-xorg-legacy
xserver-xorg-legacy:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 2:1.19.2-1+deb9u4
  Version table:
     2:1.19.2-1+deb9u4 500
        500 http://security.debian.org stretch/updates/main amd64 Packages
     2:1.19.2-1+deb9u2 500
        500 http://deb.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages




I login in console and .bashrc contains the following :

[[ $(tty) = "/dev/tty1" ]] && exec startx &> $HOME/startx.txt


Never used ~/.bashrc for that, why would that be better than ~/.profile on default debian installation?
User avatar
bw123
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: 2011-05-09 06:02
Location: TN_USA

Re: After update kernel doesn't finish boot

Postby debiman » 2018-10-28 07:59

bw123 wrote:Never used ~/.bashrc for that, why would that be better than ~/.profile on default debian installation?

not relevant to the topic, but important nonetheless.
.bashrc is sourced each time you open a terminal, .profile (and/or other files) are sourced only in a login shell.
in other words, there's no need to test for a tty each time you open a terminal.
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 3064
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: After update kernel doesn't finish boot

Postby bw123 » 2018-10-28 08:12

debiman wrote:
bw123 wrote:Never used ~/.bashrc for that, why would that be better than ~/.profile on default debian installation?

not relevant to the topic, but important nonetheless.
.bashrc is sourced each time you open a terminal, .profile (and/or other files) are sourced only in a login shell.
in other words, there's no need to test for a tty each time you open a terminal.


yes, I was wondering why we would want to startx every time bash was invoked non-login on tty1?
[
Code: Select all
# ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells.

or maybe just trying to figure out what type of system the op was running? I know it's possible to change the default shell, or run different x configs, with .xinitrc or .xsession, so I wasn't sure if that could be relevant to the topic?

that is why I added, "... on a default debian system."
User avatar
bw123
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: 2011-05-09 06:02
Location: TN_USA

Re: After update kernel doesn't finish boot

Postby patrick013 » 2018-11-01 16:16

debiman wrote:
bw123 wrote:Never used ~/.bashrc for that, why would that be better than ~/.profile on default debian installation?

not relevant to the topic, but important nonetheless.
.bashrc is sourced each time you open a terminal, .profile (and/or other files) are sourced only in a login shell.
in other words, there's no need to test for a tty each time you open a terminal.


So I moved the command to .profile with no errors noted.

#Startx Automatically place at end of .profile
if [[ -z "$DISPLAY" ]] && [[ $(tty) = /dev/tty1 ]]; then
. startx &> $HOME/startx.txt
logout
fi

...or this seems to be working fine also in .profile
exec in front is optional

exec startx &> $HOME/startx.txt
patrick013
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 2013-02-07 19:08

Re: After update kernel doesn't finish boot

Postby debiman » 2018-11-02 17:21

patrick013 wrote:So I moved the command to .profile with no errors noted.
well done!

a few comments:

. startx &> $HOME/startx.txt
surely that is wrong, the dot at the beginning?
logout

if that is the desired behaviour, you might better use
exec startx &> $HOME/startx.txt
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 3064
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18

Re: After update kernel doesn't finish boot/login

Postby patrick013 » 2018-11-13 23:33

Update:

Same problem, the 4.18 upgrade kernel stops after
console login for OpenBox (Buster). If I press Ctrl-x
a couple times OpenBox will start and the computer
will finish boot OK.

Is there any significance or clue why Ctrl-x would signal
the machine to continue and let OpenBox load, etc..

Thanks
patrick013
 
Posts: 84
Joined: 2013-02-07 19:08

Re: After update kernel doesn't finish boot/login

Postby debiman » 2018-11-14 00:41

i have no idea.
for me, ctrl-x does exactly nothing on a logged in console.
have you tried just waiting a while, i.e. don't touch anything?
User avatar
debiman
 
Posts: 3064
Joined: 2013-03-12 07:18


Return to System configuration

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

fashionable