Samba seems to be totally broken *mostly solved*

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Samba seems to be totally broken *mostly solved*

Postby schmidtbag » 2018-11-10 02:13

So I'm running Debian Testing, and the latest update seems to have broken Samba entirely. I purged and then re-installed the following packages:
samba-common samba python-samba smbclient libnss-winbind samba-common-bin winbind
and even when using all of the default configs, the systemctl status for smbd is:
Code: Select all
● smbd.service - Samba SMB Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/smbd.service; disabled; vendor preset: en
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2018-11-09 21:53:17 EST; 26s ago
     Docs: man:smbd(8)
           man:samba(7)
           man:smb.conf(5)
 Main PID: 7413 (code=exited, status=255)

Nov 09 21:53:17 aqua systemd[1]: Starting Samba SMB Daemon...
Nov 09 21:53:17 aqua systemd[1]: smbd.service: Main process exited, code=exited,
Nov 09 21:53:17 aqua systemd[1]: smbd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 09 21:53:17 aqua systemd[1]: Failed to start Samba SMB Daemon.

Which doesn't really tell me anything useful. With my original config, it whines about "setting up guest info", even though my config has nothing related to guests enabled (everything related to guests is either missing or commented out). With my original config, the /var/log/samba/smbd.log looks like this:
Code: Select all
[2018/11/09 21:53:17.306296,  0] ../source3/auth/auth_util.c:1382(make_new_session_info_guest)
  create_local_token failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
[2018/11/09 21:53:17.306367,  0] ../source3/smbd/server.c:2000(main)
  ERROR: failed to setup guest info.

Anyway, since I'm getting errors even with the original/default smb.conf, this leads me to believe this problem exists elsewhere, but at this point I have no idea where to look.
Last edited by schmidtbag on 2018-11-10 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
schmidtbag

Re: Samba seems to be totally broken

Postby bw123 » 2018-11-10 05:01

Sometimes when systemctl status shows 'exited with error code" you can get more info with journalctl. Also, sometimes I look in the service file, find the script it is executing and go look at it to find out. Often this stuff is a bad/missing config or wrong path etc, extra character in a file, that makes a script throw an error. Sometimes it helps to run the command from the service file in a terminal and see what pops out.

for instance, I added a character at the beginning of the first #comment in a config file accidentally. config files can be in ~/home also, so don;t forget to look there.

Sometimes, I use reportbug to start a bug, then abort because I see the problem from all the info it gathers.
bw123

Postby piper » 2018-11-10 15:00

This *could be due to the auto-readline transition

There is a new upstream version 4.9.2

There is also a *possibility of https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=909465
piper

Postby schmidtbag » 2018-11-10 16:19

bw123 wrote:Sometimes when systemctl status shows 'exited with error code" you can get more info with journalctl. Also, sometimes I look in the service file, find the script it is executing and go look at it to find out. Often this stuff is a bad/missing config or wrong path etc, extra character in a file, that makes a script throw an error. Sometimes it helps to run the command from the service file in a terminal and see what pops out.

In this situation, journalctl tells me the same thing that systemctl status says.
If I run the command specified in the service file, it doesn't say anything at all; it just quits.
for instance, I added a character at the beginning of the first #comment in a config file accidentally. config files can be in ~/home also, so don;t forget to look there.

I don't have config in ~/, and since the default config that comes with the package isn't working either, I don't think there's any error in smb.conf.

piper wrote:This *could be due to the auto-readline transition

There is a new upstream version 4.9.2

There is also a *possibility of https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=909465

Interesting... uninstalling winbind seemed to make it work again. For now, I think I can live without winbind.
schmidtbag

Return to System configuration