Renaming Packages autoremoves the new package.

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Renaming Packages autoremoves the new package.

Postby klaasdie » 2018-11-13 13:34

Hey all,

I'm currently trying to rename a debian package. This package is managing the dependencies on my system, so it just contains a control file which depends an all the packages I need on my system. For the renaming I strictly followed this: https://wiki.debian.org/RenamingPackages.
On a first glance it works fine but unfortunately the new (renamed) package will not be installed. When running `apt-get dist-upgrade` it is directly listed in the Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required section. It will not be installed at all, but the new dependencies within this package will be installed.
This didn't happen to the package with the old name because it was manually installed.

What came into my mind was using `apt-mark manual` but I don't find a way to integrate it, since the package is not installed at all. Adding the new package name to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove (NeverAutoRemove) didn't work out as well.

Google isn't my friend here as well, which surprised me a little since it seems to be a common problem for me when renaming packages. - I would be very happy about advices.

All was done on debian jessie.

Cheers
Klaas
klaasdie

Re: Renaming Packages autoremoves the new package.

Postby milomak » 2018-11-13 21:20

why not actually tell us what this package is so people can focus on it?
Desktop: iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina (17,1 - 3.3GHz) - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop: Lenovo ideapad Y700 [nVidia Optimus] (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Debian Sid
milomak

Postby reinob » 2018-11-14 18:06

klaasdie wrote:.. unfortunately the new (renamed) package will not be installed

klaasdie wrote:.. since the package is not installed at all.

Without knowing what's in your package, why don't you apt-get install it and see if that does it?
Can you post the (exact) output of "apt install <your-meta-package> -s"
reinob

Postby klaasdie » 2018-11-22 06:31

Hi,

thanks for your fast responses. I dropped this approach, so may question is not 'vaild' any more.

Thanks anyway!
klaasdie

Return to System configuration