Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Renaming Packages autoremoves the new package.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
klaasdie

Renaming Packages autoremoves the new package.

#1 Post by klaasdie »

Hey all,

I'm currently trying to rename a debian package. This package is managing the dependencies on my system, so it just contains a control file which depends an all the packages I need on my system. For the renaming I strictly followed this: https://wiki.debian.org/RenamingPackages.
On a first glance it works fine but unfortunately the new (renamed) package will not be installed. When running `apt-get dist-upgrade` it is directly listed in the Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required section. It will not be installed at all, but the new dependencies within this package will be installed.
This didn't happen to the package with the old name because it was manually installed.

What came into my mind was using `apt-mark manual` but I don't find a way to integrate it, since the package is not installed at all. Adding the new package name to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove (NeverAutoRemove) didn't work out as well.

Google isn't my friend here as well, which surprised me a little since it seems to be a common problem for me when renaming packages. - I would be very happy about advices.

All was done on debian jessie.

Cheers
Klaas

milomak

Re: Renaming Packages autoremoves the new package.

#2 Post by milomak »

why not actually tell us what this package is so people can focus on it?
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

reinob

#3 Post by reinob »

klaasdie wrote:.. unfortunately the new (renamed) package will not be installed
klaasdie wrote:.. since the package is not installed at all.
Without knowing what's in your package, why don't you apt-get install it and see if that does it?
Can you post the (exact) output of "apt install <your-meta-package> -s"

klaasdie

#4 Post by klaasdie »

Hi,

thanks for your fast responses. I dropped this approach, so may question is not 'vaild' any more.

Thanks anyway!