Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to setup Remmina across the internet.

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Tonto

How to setup Remmina across the internet.

#1 Post by Tonto »

I have two machines both running Remmina on Debian 8.2 using LXDE. I've never used it before and am unsure of the setup requirements for desktop sharing.

I understand that Linux uses VNC protocol, not RDP. When this is selected, two options appear: VNC and VNC Incoming connection.

My first problem is the Incoming port on which to listen: no default is provided.

A more general problem is that I don't understand the underlying concepts: whether or not ssh is used or involved, whether certain system configurations must be changed to allow Remote Desktop Access, etc.

I've done several searches but they all either assume a fancy DE like Ubuntu with GUI config utilities, or refer to Windows, vino etc.

Could someone please point me to documentation relevant to my system, or perhaps provide a concise explanation of the essential steps involved.

Most grateful for any assistance.

pcalvert

Re: How to setup Remmina across the internet.

#2 Post by pcalvert »

Before you spend any more time on that, I have a suggestion. First take a look at this and see if it will suit your needs:

https://anydesk.com/remote-desktop

Although it is commercial software, it is free for occasional personal use. It worked rather well the few times that I've used it.

Phil
Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.