Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

/var/log/dmesg empty

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
xendistar

/var/log/dmesg empty

#1 Post by xendistar »

If I look in my /var/log/dmesg.log it is empty (it actually says in the log nothing has been logged yet) how\where do I check that logging to dmesg is switched on please.

I am running Debian testing if that makes a difference?

cronoik

Re: /var/log/dmesg empty

#2 Post by cronoik »

Are you just looking for kernel messages from the current boot or also from previous boots? You can get the kernel messages from the current boot with:

Code: Select all

journalctl -k
or

Code: Select all

dmesg
For kernel messages of previous boots you have to enable persistent logging. Just set in /etc/systemd/journald.conf the value of Storage to "persistent" and debian will persist the log messages in /var/log/journal. You can view them with journalctl.
Have a nice day!

xendistar

Re: /var/log/dmesg empty

#3 Post by xendistar »

Thanks, I have uncommented (it was hashed out) and changed storage to persistent so let see what it produces, if I am not seeing what I want I will pop back.

Thanks