Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Low level remapping of keys for qemu evdev

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
paulclou

Low level remapping of keys for qemu evdev

#1 Post by paulclou »

Hi all,

My goal is to perform PCI-passthrough using libvirt and QEMU. A function called evdev from QEMU is to pass keyboard and mouse with virtio driver between host (Debian) and guest (Windows 10) by pressing left-control (LCTL) and right-control (RCTL). The problem is I am using HHKB Pro2, which does not have RCTL, and QEMU evdev hardcoded LCTL+RCTL as the hotkey.

I attempted to remap the keys in Linux using
  • Xmodmap
  • Directly editing /usr/share/X11/xkb/keycodes/evdev
which although showed Control_R in xev, did not work for evdev toggle. I installed SharpKeys to remap the key in Windows which did not work as well.

I suspect to achieve minimal latency they pass the devices directly (through PCI?), perhaps bypassing the mappings. I confirmed that the setup is correct because regular keyboard with a RCTL does work for host and guest swapping, thus the issue is whether I can remap the keys at a low level at all.

Would anyone know if low level of remapping would be possible through software?

Thank you.

*A developer attempted to introduce a patch to change hotkeys for evdev toggle, but was not integrated.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Low level remapping of keys for qemu evdev

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

I can't help directly (sorry) but:
paulclou wrote:A developer attempted to introduce a patch to change hotkeys for evdev toggle, but was not integrated
You can apply the patch yourself by adding a deb-src line to /etc/apt/sources.list then use `apt-get source` to download the source package and then use quilt:

https://raphaelhertzog.com/2012/08/08/h ... -packages/
deadbang