Laptop Base configuration

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Laptop Base configuration

Postby gusva » 2019-01-20 21:17

Hi developers i use Debian in Laptop a long time ago. Now i use in Dell Inspiron 7472.

I want the instalation in out of the box, but not yet. Nividia need some configuration with blumblebee and hibernation not work, i not see a EFI boot in standart instalation.

I need search laptop packages in apt, you can do a base instalation with this features to laptops?

thanks
gusva

Re: Laptop Base configuration

Postby arochester » 2019-01-20 21:31

There are no developers here. This is a user forum.

The practice and philosophy of Debian is to produce a totally free distribution. Nvidia is proprietary software --- it is not free. It is available to people who add the non-free Repository.

Have you tried the unofficial disk that contains some firmware? https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/
arochester

Postby stevepusser » 2019-01-21 02:05

What is the hardware on the laptop?

Can you boot Debian at all with it, and install inxi, and give us a harware report with "inxi -Fxz"? If you can't boot, try booting a Live session of MX LInux, which includes inxi already, update the hardware ID database with

Code: Select all
sudo update-pcids && sudo update-usbids
(requires you be connected to the Net, just skip the update if you don't have a connection--the sudo password on Live is "demo")
and give the result of the inxi command.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, 4..20.6 kernel, wine-staging 4.0 final, Sayonara 1.1.1, Calibre 3.39.1, Pale Moon 28.3.1
stevepusser

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-01-21 05:34

gusva wrote:i not see a EFI boot in standart instalation.

Debian stretch should support UEFI installation but Secure Boot needs to be disabled.

Did you boot the installer in UEFI mode?

EDIT: to install the laptop packages use
# apt install task-laptop
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt." — Bertrand Russell
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby gusva » 2019-01-26 22:16

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
gusva wrote:i not see a EFI boot in standart instalation.

Debian stretch should support UEFI installation but Secure Boot needs to be disabled.

Did you boot the installer in UEFI mode?

EDIT: to install the laptop packages use
# apt install task-laptop

Yes, i use UEFI to install and boot. I not found how change to EFI.

My hardware Is Dell Inspiron 7472 amd64 instalation
Intel I7 8550U
Geforce MX150
Sound Realtek
Lan/Bluetooh/Wireless Atheros

I Change the apt source list to man contrib Non-free
i follow this how-to to install and work fine.
https://wiki.debian.org/Bumblebee
but when the Geforce not use, i see the error the acpid dont disable the board. machine make little frezze, and i open some program with a optimus and the frezze stop.

See this in log messages
vidia-modeset: Unloading
nvidia-nvlink: Unregistered the Nvlink Core, major device number 246
bbswitch: disabling discrete graphics
ACPI Warning: \_SB.PCI0.RP01.PEGP._DSM: Argument #4 type mismatch - Found [Buffer], ACPI requires [Package] (20160831/nsarguments-95)
pci 0000:01:00.0: Refused to change power state, currently in D0
bbswitch: enabling discrete graphics
nvidia-nvlink: Nvlink Core is being initialized, major device number 246
NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module 384.130 Wed Mar 21 03:37:26 PDT 2018 (using threaded interrupts)

I dont install library i386 in the Geforce, i see some foruns say this is nacessary.
I dont have more the logs. My laptop is changed by Dell and now i not instaled Debian again.

All function out-of-box, selecting the firmware in the apt Sound, Lan, Wireless and bluetooh work well.
Suspend work without configuration, but the hibernate not run the machine dont shutdown, and not return when i turn on.

My instalation have 2 disks, one M2. 128gb have the / and all directory, one partition with 32gb to swap.
outher SATA HD 1tb all to /home

If somebody know this problem i need a help.
gusva

Return to System configuration