Add IP address manually.

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Add IP address manually.

Postby hack3rcon » 2019-01-27 07:56

Hello.
I added my IP address by "Network Connections" program but it not added to "interfaces" file:
Code: Select all
$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback


Thank you.
hack3rcon
 
Posts: 105
Joined: 2015-02-16 09:54

Re: Add IP address manually.

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-01-27 08:12

hack3rcon wrote:"Network Connections" program

^ What is this?

Do you mean network-manager?

If so then it is not supposed to add anything to /etc/network/interfaces and if any interface is listed in that file then it will cease to be managed by that program.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt." — Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 8838
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Add IP address manually.

Postby hack3rcon » 2019-01-27 08:29

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
hack3rcon wrote:"Network Connections" program

^ What is this?

Do you mean network-manager?

If so then it is not supposed to add anything to /etc/network/interfaces and if any interface is listed in that file then it will cease to be managed by that program.


I mean is:
Image
hack3rcon
 
Posts: 105
Joined: 2015-02-16 09:54

Re: Add IP address manually.

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2019-01-27 08:33

Are you using Ubuntu?

Anyway, that program won't change the interfaces file, as I already explained.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent full of doubt." — Bertrand Russell
User avatar
Head_on_a_Stick
 
Posts: 8838
Joined: 2014-06-01 17:46
Location: /dev/chair

Re: Add IP address manually.

Postby hack3rcon » 2019-01-27 11:28

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Are you using Ubuntu?

Anyway, that program won't change the interfaces file, as I already explained.

No, Forum not allow me to upload any photo here and I found a similar photo in Google. How this program adds IP address?
hack3rcon
 
Posts: 105
Joined: 2015-02-16 09:54

Re: Add IP address manually.

Postby p.H » 2019-01-27 11:36

NetworkManager has its own config files. You should not mess with them directly. Why do you want to know ? What is your goal ?
p.H
 
Posts: 754
Joined: 2017-09-17 07:12

Re: Add IP address manually.

Postby hack3rcon » 2019-01-27 11:46

p.H wrote:NetworkManager has its own config files. You should not mess with them directly. Why do you want to know ? What is your goal ?

I changed my IP address by this program and looked at "/etc/network/interfaces" file, but never see any change and it was odd for me.
hack3rcon
 
Posts: 105
Joined: 2015-02-16 09:54


Return to System configuration

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

fashionable