Repare broken system : multiarch-support

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

Repare broken system : multiarch-support

Postby Newen » 2019-02-06 12:36

I accidentally ran the remove command for the multiarch-support package from my Debian 9.7, and had the bad idea to interrupt the process when I realised my mistake.
Now a huge number of packages are missing in the system (had to reinstall gdm3), and reinstalling multiarch-support with --fix-broken doesn't solve the problem.

Is there a clean way to restore the default Debian config without losing all my applications ?
Newen

Re: Repare broken system : multiarch-support

Postby bw123 » 2019-02-06 13:17

Newen wrote:I accidentally ran the remove command for the multiarch-support package from my Debian 9.7, and had the bad idea to interrupt the process when I realised my mistake.
Now a huge number of packages are missing in the system (had to reinstall gdm3), and reinstalling multiarch-support with --fix-broken doesn't solve the problem.

Is there a clean way to restore the default Debian config without losing all my applications ?

There really isn't anything like "the default Debian config" because every installation is slightly different, depending on what you chose during setup.

Interrupted the process how? What do you mean by "...the remove command" I am unaware of it? Do you mean rm command?

What do you mean by, "...huge number of packages" missing? Have you tried reinstalling them, or re-install multiarch support? You say it doesn't solve the problem, ok. That's pretty vague. Maybe if you show the exact command you used, or some error msgs, in code tags, someone can help you understand.

Sometimes we make mistakes, without a backup, and have to reinstall unless we decide to spend a few hours learning. It's your call.
bw123

Re: Repare broken system : multiarch-support

Postby CwF » 2019-02-06 14:24

A record of what tried to happen is in /var/log/apt/history.log and what did happen in /var/log/apt/term.log and /var/log/dpkg.log.

You can review those files to understand but it's not necessary. Since we have no details on what you have and where you're at, we can assume from your ability to reinstall things means you could simply continue in your method and reinstall the larger metapackages and/or packages you want. The majority of data in your home should be intact.

In recent weeks taking Jessie's and Stretch's to Buster, multiarch-support has oprhaned out in a few examples. I'm not sure what gave you a clue to remove it, but you should do so if it gets orphaned.

So, the command was to remove it. You noticed after saying 'yes' it was removing it's dependencies. And then you hit 'cancel'. That barf will show in the logs. Things may be partially un-configured. Simply continuing on your path and reinstalling what you want should cycle through and work to clean assuming you have a clean and coherent sources.list.
CwF

Return to System configuration