Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

dvd and dvd-r(w)

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.

dvd and dvd-r(w)

#1 Post by Guest »

hi sorry but ive been playing with this now for about a month now followed every how to i can find and nothing seems to work. i have a sarge install with kernel 2.6.8 and i cant get the dvdrom to play dvds or the dvd-r to work either both work fine under windows. my fstab shows both drives as cdrom and cdrom1 could this be the course of my troubles? or could some one point me in the direction of a how to or an fstab that works with dvd dvd-r? oh ye its a standard kernel from debian, and iam running kde. would a distro-upgrade help? its a philips dvdrom and a tosiba dvd-r

lacek

#2 Post by lacek »

What do you mean "don't work"? Can you mount them? If so, what program do you try to play DVDs with? What program do you try to write DVDs with?
Or you don't know what programs to use for these tasks?

manny

#3 Post by manny »

Well i was an ubuntu user before coming to debian, and since it's based on debian, most of this guide has helped me a lot. Look for How to install DVD playback capability? in http://ubuntuguide.org/ It would help to add

Code: Select all

deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ sarge main
to your /etc/apt/sources.list to get some things. Hope it helps :wink:

#4 Post by Guest »

thanks for trying to help me ive been trying to use mplayer to play and acidrip and dvdbackup to try the dvd-rw but they all say faulty disk but disks are fine. i can mount and look at the files on the disk but thats it.

manny

#5 Post by manny »

Have you tried using Totem for dvds? must be already installed under "multimedia"
For dvd-rw try k3b

dawgie

#6 Post by dawgie »

Vlc is the easiest prog to set for playing DVDs.
# apt-get install vlc

dvd playback

#7 Post by Guest »

i have tryed totem it played the intro screen (universal globe thing) then stoped and would play any more. have tryed vlc and gives same error as mplayer faulty disk, but the disks are fine.

i will have another look at it though and look at k3b. thanks for help. i dont spose someone who has dvd playback and dvd copying setup could post a list of progs that are needed so i can check i havnt missed anything please ? and do you use a standard fstab or have you made any chances?

thanks for every ones help

manny

#8 Post by manny »

hmm... maybe check the section How to speed up CD/DVD-ROM? to add dma = on from the ubuntuguide posted above.
I don't know if it helps, here's my fstab, i only added 2 windows partitions and another ide drive.

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
/dev/hda8       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda6       /boot           ext2    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda9       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
/dev/hda7       none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
/dev/hda1       /media/windowsC  ntfs    nls=utf8,umask=0222 0       0
/dev/hda5       /media/unidadD  vfat    iocharset=utf8,umask=000   0       0
/dev/hdb5       /media/maxtor  vfat    iocharset=utf8,umask=000   0       0

anon

#9 Post by anon »

looking at what i have installed I have libdvdcss and libdvdread from marillats repository.

jsawyer

DVD burning

#10 Post by jsawyer »

I have a similar but different issue. I am running a hybrid of etch/sid with the 2.6 kernel. When I try to burn a DVD ISO using gnomebaker it doesn't recognize my blank dvd. When trying to use K3b it just freezes up when "scanning for cd devises".