System randomly freezes

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

System randomly freezes

Postby Grell » 2019-05-30 00:23

Hello, I am having an issue where my system (Debian stable) will just randomly freeze. Every day or two I will be using it and suddenly I cannot click anywhere. The mouse still moves and the audio still continues to play but I cannot click on anything on the desktop. I also cannot use the Ctrl-Alt-F# keys to go into the console in order to restart Xorg or anything like that. There does not seem to be anything in the logs to show what could possibly be wrong. I have run memtest86+ overnight a few days ago and it did not find any errors. I believe that this is a hardware problem and probably not a problem with Debian itself. Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions on what to try next to fix this issue? Thanks.
Grell

Re: System randomly freezes

Postby Bulkley » 2019-05-30 01:05

These things can be really frustrating. First, keep a note pad handy. Each time it freezes write down details including what programs you were using and any other symptoms you can. Eventually you may see a pattern.

A mouse is usually controlled by Xorg. That your mouse still moves a cursor but the screen is otherwise frozen is a new one for me. Gnome is noted for weird problems. If you can, install a window manager or maybe Xfce and use it instead of Gnome for long enough to convince you that Gnome is not the problem.

Make sure all your fans are working all the time. Clean out excessive dust. Re-seat all circuit cards, memory sticks and all plugs/jacks. I have a SATA cord that sometimes works itself loose. While watching a video tap the case with your fingers. (I said tap; don't get brutal.)

If there are any peripherals or circuit boards that you can run without, disconnect them for a week or two.

Learn REISUB - the gentle Linux restart . I prefer reisuo which shuts everything off. Test this; you may have to enable it.

Just for our peace of mind, please post your /etc/apt/sources.list.
Bulkley

Postby dotlj » 2019-05-30 10:36

Hi, some more details about the system, desktop and applications running may be helpful. Processor, memory?
Do you have standard debian repository or have you added any third party repository such as virtualbox, libreoffice or anything else?
Do you check top to see how the system is performing, every now and again.
Have you checked logs, probably have. Any clues there?
If you are running on a local network can you ssh into the frozen box?
dotlj

Postby Grell » 2019-08-02 22:50

I believe I have solved the problem. Just through looking through the logs and seeing what time the kernel was panicking and the system was freezing up there were various references to the nouveau driver. I just switched over to the proprietary nvidia driver and so far everything is fine.
Grell

Return to System configuration