Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

initramfs can't find filesystem when using custom kernel

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
lou_o5

initramfs can't find filesystem when using custom kernel

#1 Post by lou_o5 »

greetings,

I use debootstrap to start my build and chroot in and install packages. I've made several images that boot and operate in a live session using this method. The issue is when I compile the latest kernel and install it, it freezes while running through the initramfs init script on "mouting file system" or a similar message (i'll update the verbage when home). It never finds and decompresses the squashfs to memory. The process I use is to chroot in and install the deb packages (linux image and linux headers) then copy the initrd and vmlinux in /boot to the root of my image file. The grub points straight to them in the root of the image. The squash.filesystem is in the "live" directory which is in the root of the image as well. again, it works just fine if I leave the kernel (4. somthing, current kernel shipping with stretch) alone. from the initramfs CLI i tried looking for logs but i guess none are generated that early.?

where should I start troubleshooting? Thanks for viewing.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: initramfs can't find filesystem when using custom kernel

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Why do you need a custom kernel?

How have you configured it?

Have you tried using a kernel that doesn't need an initramfs?
deadbang