Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

sendmail offers auth even if one do not want it

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
hruodr

sendmail offers auth even if one do not want it

#1 Post by hruodr »

In http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142241

I wrote, that "apt-get autoremove" also removes mannually instalated packages.

I did "apt-get purge libsasl2-modules-ldap libsasl2-modules-db sasl2-bin" and "apt-get autoremove" because I was frustrated
that sendmail contnued to offer AUTH also I deleted that configuration from "/etc/mail/sendmail.mc".

Perhaps the reason is, that this fatastic debian read also configuration files from "/etc/mail/sasl" that one did not add manually,
because one knows that only sendmail.mc and submit.mc are sendmail configuration files.

Sendmail is difficult enough to configure, debian makes it much more difficult, if not impossible.

hruodr

Re: sendmail offers auth even if one do not want it

#2 Post by hruodr »

And after all purging, it continues to offer authentication, with the last methods I had configured it.

hruodr

Re: sendmail offers auth even if one do not want it

#3 Post by hruodr »

Debian offers by default:

AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5

I can avoid that it offer ATUT putting in sendmail.mc an empty list of authentication methods:

define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `')

But why this behaviour?
Is confAUTH_MECHANISMS defined somewhere else in a hidden configuration file of instransparent debian?