Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] btrfs receive (ERROR: rename-> failed...)

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
bester69

[Solved] btrfs receive (ERROR: rename-> failed...)

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,

I receive this ERROR: crc32 mismatch in command when I was restoring a system backup with btrfs send/receive .. I applied this.:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=142344

For Backup:
- Debian 9
- btrfs-progs (4.13.3-1~bpo9+1)
sudo btrfs send -v /.snapshots/3/snapshot/ |pv -s 14G| split -b 1000M --filter 'lzop -1 > "$FILE.lzo"'

For Restoring :
- Debian 10 (Livecd)
- btrfs-progs (4.20.1-2:)
cat xa* | lzop -dN --ignore-warn |pv -s 14G| sudo btrfs receive /media/sda3/rootsys
-----------------------------------

After that I was able to restore with errors the backup by using ( btrfs receive --max-errors 0) and boot the system without apparently anything broken.:
cat xa* | lzop -dN --ignore-warn |pv -s 14G| sudo btrfs receive -v --max-errors 0 /media/sda3/rootsys

It showed a lot of errors type.:
ERROR: rename 0-2323.23.. -> root/.local failed: Directory not empty, here you can see a capture.:

So, Now, do I have my system corrupted?.. Do I need to use same btrfs-progs version to restore woth success?..Whats was the problem? :(
Last edited by bester69 on 2019-06-14 19:00, edited 2 times in total.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

bester69

Re: btrfs receive (ERROR: crc32 mismatch in command)

#2 Post by bester69 »

I checked the system, and everything seems to work.. I deleted all empty inode folders created by ERRORs btrfs receive.

Thanks to God, I didnt lost my system :? ..Ive no external disk and have to play with left space in partitions to make theses kind of experiments
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bester69 wrote:Do I need to use same btrfs-progs version to restore woth success?
Yes.
deadbang

bester69

#4 Post by bester69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
bester69 wrote:Do I need to use same btrfs-progs version to restore woth success?
Yes.
Hi Head,
I downloaded same version and installed from a Livecd ( btrfs-progs (4.13.3-1~bpo9+1)), It didnt work at all..

this seems to be a known bug, but I dont find much information about it
https://marc.info/?l=linux-btrfs&m=140137759213466&w=2

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bester69 wrote:I downloaded same version and installed from a Livecd ( btrfs-progs (4.13.3-1~bpo9+1)), It didnt work at all.
The kernel & btrfs-progs versions should be matched.

Make your own rescue image:

https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live ... ex.en.html
deadbang

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
bester69 wrote:I downloaded same version and installed from a Livecd ( btrfs-progs (4.13.3-1~bpo9+1)), It didnt work at all.
The kernel & btrfs-progs versions should be matched.

Make your own rescue image:

https://live-team.pages.debian.net/live ... ex.en.html
Ok, then I understand If i use same livecd for backing up and restoring process, I should not give into theses troubles..is it? (Knowing this, would be enought to me)

Thanks for help,

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: btrfs receive (ERROR: rename-> failed. Not directory)

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

You should use the same kernel & btrfs-progs versions on the live image that you use for your installed system.

FWIW I think using btrfs for the backup medium is silly :P

I use xfs (or f2fs for my USB3 backup stick) and rsync instead, even when backing up the btrfs family laptop system.
deadbang

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: FWIW I think using btrfs for the backup medium is silly :P

I use xfs (or f2fs for my USB3 backup stick) and rsync instead, even when backing up the btrfs family laptop system.
What do you meant by saying btrfs for the backup medium is silly ?,

I doestn trust very much about rsync for system backups (Ive had some bad experiences, for that reason I was using fsarchiver until now, its more trustworthy ), furthermore rsync backs to level file, and "btrfs send" to binary data level if Im not wrong, so Its faster and doesnt miss atributtes neither metadata, furthermore rsync cant pipe to compression output, or at least I dont know how to get that..

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

bester69 wrote: Ok, then I understand If i use same livecd for backing up and restoring process, I should not give into theses troubles..is it? (Knowing this, would be enought to me)

Thanks for help,
Using same versions for backup and restore proces (it's not neccesary to match btrf-progs and kernel with installed version ones.)

THIS FIXED!!!,

Thanks Head. :o

Head_on_a_Stick

#10 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

bester69 wrote:What do you meant by saying btrfs for the backup medium is silly ?
Well btrfs has a rather bad reputation for eating data and the API changes very quickly (as your problem illustrates) so I prefer a more reliable filesystem for backups.

And rsync allows for backups to and from any filesystem, which can be very useful.
bester69 wrote:rsync backs to level file, and "btrfs send" to binary data level if Im not wrong, so Its faster and doesnt miss atributtes neither metadata
There should be no difference in speed and rsync can be instructed to maintain attributes & metadata:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rs ... tem_backup
furthermore rsync cant pipe to compression output, or at least I dont know how to get that..
Use the -z option to enable gzip compression ;)

Anyway, glad you got your problem sorted.
deadbang

bester69

#11 Post by bester69 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
bester69 wrote:What do you meant by saying btrfs for the backup medium is silly ?
Well btrfs has a rather bad reputation for eating data and the API changes very quickly (as your problem illustrates) so I prefer a more reliable filesystem for backups.

And rsync allows for backups to and from any filesystem, which can be very useful.
bester69 wrote:rsync backs to level file, and "btrfs send" to binary data level if Im not wrong, so Its faster and doesnt miss atributtes neither metadata
There should be no difference in speed and rsync can be instructed to maintain attributes & metadata:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rs ... tem_backup
furthermore rsync cant pipe to compression output, or at least I dont know how to get that..
Use the -z option to enable gzip compression ;)

Anyway, glad you got your problem sorted.
Thanks a lot, for help :o

bester69

#12 Post by bester69 »

bester69 wrote:
bester69 wrote: Ok, then I understand If i use same livecd for backing up and restoring process, I should not give into theses troubles..is it? (Knowing this, would be enought to me)

Thanks for help,
Using same versions for backup and restore proces (it's not neccesary to match btrf-progs and kernel with installed version ones.)

THIS FIXED!!!,

Thanks Head. :o
I havent had this problem again, So I think the problem might be some corrupted metadata or so, cos after using four or five times this method with different Livecd's tools, I havent given into it, again. Its clear to me restoring backup fixed the corrupted metadata or files.