Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

screen resolution

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
nvllified

screen resolution

#1 Post by nvllified »

I know this may sound like a really really stupid question, but, How do I fix my screen resolution? I went to the screen resolution icon in Gnome but it only gives me a choice of 800x600. The maximum resolution of my moniter is 1280x1024 at 60hz... the current setting really hurts my eyes. I'm using an Nvidia card, I installed the drivers but I don not know how to access the Nvidia configuration tool (if this would possibly solve my situation)... can anyone help me out?

manny

#2 Post by manny »

Yep, it happened to me too, just edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file (you can use nano, emacs, vim, whatever editor) (of course, not a wysiwyg) and look for the Section "Screen" check what is your default depth, mine is 24 (equal to 32bit in windoze) and add the res you want to the default depth.
Example: Mine was

Code: Select all

SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes          "800x600" "640x480"
Just add the res you need (and your monitor supports)

Code: Select all

SubSection "Display"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
I guess you should do all this when not in an "X" session, but not sure, maybe log out and in or reboot :P
Hope it helps

nvllified

thanks!

#3 Post by nvllified »

Thanks, that worked out great!

yanik

#4 Post by yanik »

The Xrandr extension is what you are looking for, you can change your resolution on the fly. See http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/201