Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

TCP Stealth scan rules in nftables [solved]

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Lecram

TCP Stealth scan rules in nftables [solved]

#1 Post by Lecram »

I'm currrently using Debian buster 64 bit. I'm testing nftables rules for my desktop. I want to add rules for TCP stealth scan and I got the following code from

https://github.com/yoramvandevelde/nfta ... init.rules which gives the error

Code: Select all

nft add rule  ip filter input iifname enp2s0 tcp flags & (ack|fin) == fin drop  
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `==' 
but if I do the following code it gets accepted

nft add rule  inet filter input iifname enp2s0 tcp flags ack,fin,fin drop
I also checked the ruleset

root@debian:~# nft list ruleset
table inet filter {
	chain input {
		type filter hook input priority 0; policy drop;
		iifname "enp2s0" tcp flags != syn ct state new drop
		iifname "enp2s0" udp length { 28-32 } drop
		iifname "enp2s0" tcp flags fin,ack drop
		iifname "lo" ct state established,related accept
		iifname "enp2s0" ct state established,related accept
		iifname "enp2s0" ct state invalid,untracked drop
	}
}
How do i know if the code i added works; in Iptables i can always check with

iptables -L -v 
what is the similar command for nftables? is my nftables rule for tcp stealth scan correct?
P.S i checked the book Linux Firewalls ® Enhancing Security with nftables and Beyond fourth edition by Steve Suehring it only mentions TCP stealth scan rules for iptables only.
Last edited by Lecram on 2019-07-20 08:06, edited 1 time in total.

reinob

Re: TCP Stealth scan rules in nftables

#2 Post by reinob »

Lecram wrote:I'm currrently using Debian buster 64 bit. I'm testing nftables rules for my desktop. I want to add rules for TCP stealth scan and I got the following code from

https://github.com/yoramvandevelde/nfta ... init.rules which gives the error

nft add rule  ip filter input iifname enp2s0 tcp flags & (ack|fin) == fin drop  
-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `==' 
Did you just run that script with bash or what?
The page/file you linked tells you to:

sudo nft -f nftables-init.rules
What's the output of running that?

(note also that you should NOT use that script as is.. but you probably know what you're doing do you? :)

Lecram

#3 Post by Lecram »

reinob wrote: (note also that you should NOT use that script as is.. but you probably know what you're doing do you? :)
I did not run the script as it is. I typed every command in the terminal. I have the found the solution to my question it was in
arch linux wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nf ... and_tricks
in the terminal it should be run like this

nft add rule  inet filter input iifname enp2s0 tcp flags \& \(syn\|fin\) == \(syn\|fin\) drop 
There are some idiiosyncrancies to nftables. For example if we give the command for icmp type in the braces without spaces like this

nft add rule  inet filter input iifname enp2s0 icmp type {echo-reply,destination-unreachable,time-exceeded} limit rate 1/second  accept 
it will give the following error

Error: No symbol type information
add rule inet filter input iifname enp2s0 icmp type echo-reply destination-unreachable time-exceeded limit rate 1/second accept
                                                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Also for null scan we can't give commands like

nft add rule  inet filter input iifname enp2s0 tcp flags \& \(fin\|syn\|rst\|psh\|ack\|urg\) == 0 drop or
nft add rule  inet filter input iifname enp2s0 tcp flags \& \(all\) ==  \(none\) drop or 

it has to be like this

nft add rule  inet filter input iifname enp2s0 tcp flags \& \(fin\|syn\|rst\|psh\|ack\|urg\)  \<  fin drop

Apparently most of them who wrote tutorials in the blogs and websites ran iptables-> nftables translator or just posted the exported ruleset.

reinob

#4 Post by reinob »

Lecram wrote: Apparently most of them who wrote tutorials in the blogs and websites ran iptables-> nftables translator or just posted the exported ruleset.
The example you've shown, and probably others, place the rules in a file, which is then fed to nft, with

# nft -t /path/to/the/file
If you run each line from the shell, prepending "nft add rule" you have to make sure that the shell doesn't interpret things it shouldn't do, like "(", ")" and "&".

Best is in any case to put your rules in a file and use "nft -t".

theblueplll

#5 Post by theblueplll »

There is a lot of information about how these types of scans and others work on https://nmap.org/book/man.html.

Also other places on their site.

It would be a good idea in my opinion to read and research that as much as you can since that is the most used port scanner there is.

Also keep in mind that there is techniques that you can not fully defend against.
Some even I imagine that aren't public knowledge.