lost emails between Thunderbird and dovecot

Kernels & Hardware, configuring network, installing services

lost emails between Thunderbird and dovecot

Postby piotrusch » 2019-07-24 18:59

Hi everybody!

For a long time I have stored my emails in local folders of Thunderbird. To be able to access those emails from other devices, too, I set up dovecot. It's running and I have access from different devices.

Now I'd like to move all emails from Thunderbird to dovecot. This works for the first one or two folders but then the move just doesn't happen. I choose all emails in a folder of Thunderbird, drag it over to the same named folder on dovecot and drop it. But it just copies one or two emails but that's it.
With the import/export tools I managed to export a whole folder to an mbox file which I copied to dovecot and now I see all emails there.
BUT when I now try to move a new email from my inbox at the email provider to a dovecot folder nothing happens. Neither Thunderbird nor dovecot give me any kind of error message even after increasing the debug lever of the latter one.

Do you have any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks in advance, Piotrusch
piotrusch

Re: lost emails between Thunderbird and dovecot

Postby reinob » 2019-07-25 13:35

piotrusch wrote:Neither Thunderbird nor dovecot give me any kind of error message even after increasing the debug lever of the latter one.

Do you have any idea what the issue could be?

I was going to ask you to post the dovecot logs, but if you say no error message is shown...

Perhaps you can post the output of "dovecot -n" to see which settings deviate from the defaults (as well as to see if you've properly set the logging).

I don't know if Thunderbird keeps a log (I don't use it), but it may be worth checking the documentation.

Note that for dovecot you could also ask at the dovecot mailing list (dovecot@dovecot.org). The developers are very active there. But the first question there will also be the output of "dovecot -n" :)
(maybe also which version of dovecot could be relevant, in case it's some known bug..)
reinob

Postby piotrusch » 2019-07-25 18:40

reinob wrote:Perhaps you can post the output of "dovecot -n" to see which settings deviate from the defaults (as well as to see if you've properly set the logging).

Here comes the output:
Code: Select all
# 2.3.4.1 (f79e8e7e4): /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# Pigeonhole version 0.5.4 ()
# OS: Linux 5.0.0-trunk-amd64 x86_64 Debian 10.0 ext4
# Hostname: media-box.fritz.box
mail_location = mbox:/var/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/mail/indeces/%u
mail_privileged_group = mail
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
protocols = " imap"
service imap-login {
  inet_listener imaps {
    port = 993
    ssl = yes
  }
}
ssl = required
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
ssl_dh = # hidden, use -P to show it
ssl_key = # hidden, use -P to show it
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

I just copied an email and it showed up right away. May it have been the case that, right after I copied the entire mailbox to dovecot, it was building the index and therefore didn't show any new messages? I'll keep trying and come back if new messages disappear.

Thanks anyway.
piotrusch

Postby reinob » 2019-07-25 19:49

@piotrusch,

The config you've posted does not have any "mail_debug = yes", so your logs will probably show when dovecot starts and ends (dovecot.log) and the user connections (dovecot.info), but not much else.

Just in case, check whether you're looking at the actual logs (run "doveadm log find").

You will most likely have to enable "mail_debug = yes" and then look at the corresponding log file (like mail.debug or so, but run "doveadm log find" to be sure).

Hopefully the dovecot log will tell us what's (not) going on..

In case Thunderbird is not behaving well, you may want to try the "Copy Folder" add-on (https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/th ... py-folder/), which I neither know nor have used, but seems to be the tool you need, and hopefully it will show if any errors occur.

Good luck.
reinob

Postby piotrusch » 2020-08-25 13:17

After some months it's still working fine. I don't know what was wrong in the first place but the issue never came back again.

Thanks for the help, Piotrusch
piotrusch

Return to System configuration