Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to do something like Virtualbox Guest Additions on QEMU?

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
Azrael

How to do something like Virtualbox Guest Additions on QEMU?

#1 Post by Azrael »

Hi guys,

I was previously proposed to switch from Virtualbox to QEMU because it is better.

So I thought I gave it a try.

I followed the instructions here:
https://xapax.github.io/blog/2017/05/09 ... s-kvm.html
https://cialu.net/qemu-kvm-on-ubuntu-an ... nd-guests/

But when it gets to steps like these:

Code: Select all

mount -t 9p -o trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L /hostshare /home/guest_user/host_files
I get an error

Code: Select all

bad option; for several filesystems (e.g. nfs, cifs) you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program.
I noticed that I am supposed to do the mkdir and mount on the terminal from the guest machine But I don't see it on my Windows 7 Guest.

I tried to go View -> Text Consoles -> Text Console 1 but was met with a black screen.

Googling this for the past few days, I tried to do Spice but it doesn't seem to work either.

Any easy to setup way or at least, where am I going wrong?

Thank you.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to do something like Virtualbox Guest Additions on Q

#2 Post by CwF »

Your purpose does dictate the solution. Many possibilities with design choice. Personally I think the hypervisor should not be a file host since it is superior to use another vm. All vm's can share a nic, on which the host is - and should be - invisible. I don't use 9P myself, it failed my destructive testing.

The host always has access to everything if needed, look into guestmount provided by libguestfs-tools. Use -ro options to pull from guest to host while the vm is live, -rw when it's off. Consider using a virtual drives in an on/off fashion that can be mounted by any guest or host. For a persistent file system available to all, control that FS in a vm, with a dedicated nic that FS is available to the host. It's simpler and survives my destructive testing.

VDAgent should be installed in the guest to work with Spice, along with QXL video driver. Here the host can graphically drag and drop a file onto the guest desktop.

Azrael

#3 Post by Azrael »

CwF wrote:Your purpose does dictate the solution. Many possibilities with design choice. Personally I think the hypervisor should not be a file host since it is superior to use another vm. All vm's can share a nic, on which the host is - and should be - invisible. I don't use 9P myself, it failed my destructive testing.

The host always has access to everything if needed, look into guestmount provided by libguestfs-tools. Use -ro options to pull from guest to host while the vm is live, -rw when it's off. Consider using a virtual drives in an on/off fashion that can be mounted by any guest or host. For a persistent file system available to all, control that FS in a vm, with a dedicated nic that FS is available to the host. It's simpler and survives my destructive testing.

VDAgent should be installed in the guest to work with Spice, along with QXL video driver. Here the host can graphically drag and drop a file onto the guest desktop.
I am open to more solutions, I'm using Remmina with a shared local folder then connecting to the Windows Guest as another user via "remote desktop". ^^"

If there's an easier way via the GUI it would be nice.

I have tried installing VDAgent inside the Windows 7 but I can copy and paste text but not files.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang