Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to assign new Mac Address to eth0/eth1 after board swap

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
gldickens3

How to assign new Mac Address to eth0/eth1 after board swap

#1 Post by gldickens3 »

Hello,

I have a server that has been running for 6 years, however, the motherboard recently failed and so I replaced it with the exact same make and model motherboard. Prior to the failure, I had eth0 setup as my gateway to the internet via a Comcast Business connection and I have 5 static IP addresses from Comcast setup on eth0, eth0:0, eth0:1, eth0:2 and eth0:3. The server acts as the router and dhcp server for my local network and eth1 is the interface for the local network. However, the interfaces on the new motherboard obviously have different mac addresses than before and I cannot figure out how to reassign the new mac addresses to the old interface names: eth0 and eth1. Following the motherboard swap the interfaces were renamed enp3s0 and enp4s0 instead of eth0 and eth1 respectively.

So, can someone please explain to me how to reassign the new mac addresses to eth0 and eth1?

Thanks,

Gordon

Segfault

Re: How to assign new Mac Address to eth0/eth1 after board s

#2 Post by Segfault »

Pass 'net.ifnames=0' to your kernel.

gldickens3

Re: How to assign new Mac Address to eth0/eth1 after board s

#3 Post by gldickens3 »

Hi Segfault,

That worked. Thanks!

Gordon